Lax Teams Finish Dartmouth, Season

Freshmen Go Undefeated

By Philip Weiss

The varsity and freshman lacrosse teams finished off their seasons with a flourish Saturday, each by whipping Dartmouth on home turf.

The hapless varsity stickmen, under the helm of skipper Bruce Munro for the last time, completed a dismal season by topping the Big Green, 6-4, for only their third win against six losses.

The freshmen, however, capped their best season ever by beating Dartmouth, 10-5. The Yardlings went undefeated on their season's campaign, picking up eight victories along the way. It was the best record for any Harvard freshman lacrosse team, at least since 1925.

In a tightly-played game, the varsity stickmen jumped to a 3-0 first quarter edge, and got another goal in the second period to stay ahead, 4-2.

Dartmouth scored once in the third quarter to keep things close at 4-3, then, 37 seconds into the fourth quarter, tied the game at 4-4.

Harvard scored two minutes later and went on to win, 6-4.

Two for Greg

Greg Jackmauh was high scorer with two goals. Kevin McCall, Fred Adair, Andy Anderson, and Bob Frisbie all tallied once, while middie Bruce Bruckmann earned an assist.

Leroy Thompson had a great day in the nets, stopping a season high 23 shots. His histrionics in the crease--Thompson hurled his stick in the air once in disgust--cost him a penalty.

It was the last game for J. Bruce Munro, a coach for 25 years. No replacement has been named for Munro, who is also retiring as varsity soccer coach.

On a neighboring field, the Yardlings finished their perfect season, led by Bill MacKenzie who tallied four times.

It was a steady game through the first half, with the freshmen carrying a 4-2 bulge into intermission. In the third frame, the freshmen scored two unanswered points, and outlegged the Green throw the final period of the season to clinct 10-5 count.

Tony Chase scored twice with an assist, and Sandy White dented the net twice himself to place and show in the scoring honors.

Dave Anish and Dave Beier added a goal apiece, while Scott Clemson and Mike Durkin assisted once each, to round out the scoring.