Beantown Coaches Name All-GBL Baseball Squad

By Bill Stedman

Four Crimson players were honored yesterday for their roles in bringing the Greater Boston League (GBL) baseball championship back to Harvard for the fourth straight season. Beantown's coaches named 15 to the all-star squad, including four from Boston College, which finished second in the league with a 5-3-1 slate.

Leigh Hogan nailed down the first base spot on the team for Harvard while Joe Mackey was named as Boston's best designated hitter (DH). Mackey, who paced the circuit in hitting most of the season, will go down in the books as the first GBL all-star DH.

Don Driscoll, who will perhaps be best remembered for his pitching against Princeton last Sunday in the Eastern League playoff, also earned kudos from the coaches. Driscoll, was among three hurlers honored. Also named to the staff were Ron Luango of B.C. and Brandeis ace Mike Fahey, whose only loss came last Friday against Harvard.

Ed Durso, who was the starting GBL all-star short stop last season, was relegated to a role as a utility infielder this year along with Dan Falcone of hapless (1-8-0) Tufts and Dave Tirell of MIT. Durso is the only Harvard repeater this year.

Rounding out the team, catcher Steve Kring was the only Northeastern selection this year. Last year the tournament-bound Huskies had five players chosen by the coaches. Bob Kelly was voted the top second baseman, while Boston College's Paul O'Neill garnered honors at the hot corner.

The Eagles hot freshman power hitter, Tom Songin, was selected as shortstop, while teammate Al Bassignani made the team in left field. MIT's Kevin Rowland and Tufts' Bobby Norton round out the outfield.