Badger Crew Easily Defeats IRA Opponents

Defending champion Wisconsin's heavyweight crew scored an impressive three-length victory over Brown Thursday to qualify for the finals at the Intercollegiate Rowing Association Regatta.

The Badgers covered the 2000-meter Onondaga Lake course in 6:01.5, almost 20 seconds faster than their winning time in the finals here last year.

Penn Heats Up

In the second heat of the varsity eight-oared event, Pennsylvania scored a narrow victory over MIT and Cornell in 6:05 flat.

MIT, Cornell and Northeastern, all considered serious challengers to Wisconsin, must place first or second in repechange, or second-chance heats Friday to meet the Badgers in the finals Saturday.

In the freshman fours with coxswain event, Marist and Princeton scored victories in their heats to qualify for the finals.

In the varsity pairs without coxswain, Coast Guard, Syracuse and Yale also advanced to the finals. Wisconsin, which last year swept all three eight-oared events, also posted qualifying successes in the varsity fours with coxswain and the freshman eights.

Harvard crews do not participate in the regatta.