Harvard Cyclists Gear for U.S. Team

Capture Second in 100-Mile Race

By David J. States

Harvard bicyclists took another step Sunday in their drive toward the national team and eventually the Olympics with John Allis placing second in the Olympic Development Race held at Harvard, Mass. The 100-mile race was part of a series of races sponsored by the Amateur Bicycle League of America in order to select the teams that will represent the United States in international competition.

This level of competition is not new to Harvard cyclists. B-School student Allis rode for the United States in Munich, Mexico City, and Tokyo. He is far and away the most experienced cyclist in the area, and has taken a lead in the effort to develop cycling in Boston.

While lacking the impressive credentials of Allis, several other riders from Harvard have shown strong performances. Bill Bridge did his share of the work in breaking up the pack and allowing the group that eventually won to get away.

Bridge overestimated his own stamina in making the effort, and the lead group eventually dropped him. Once out of the protection of that pack, he had to face the full force of the wind alone, and the fatigue forced him to drop from the race.

Monty Graham, another B-School student, also turned in a good performance. In an unfortunate incident, a horse broke loose on one of the country roads. The time necessary to maneuver around the rearing animal crippled Graham's effort to stay with the leading pack, and hurt his chances for a better placing.

John Baldo, a fourth strong rider from Harvard, decided against entering the grueling 100-mile race because he did not feel adequately prepared. Although Baldo has done his best to stay in condtion, the requirements of thesis writing have made it difficult.

While these and other strong riders are at Harvard, they do not actually ride for a Harvard team. Allis and Bridge ride for both Centurian Road Cycle Club of American and Raleigh, and Graham and Baldo ride for the Northeast Bicycle Club and Fuji.

Harvard bicyclists of all abilities will have a chance to exhibit their talent in next weekend's Harvard-Wellesley Race. A new format is planned for the race this year. Instead of a race out to Wellesley, riders will tour leisurely and race on a closed course there.