Four Conservatives Win Faculty Council Election

By Nicholas Lemann

The Faculty has elected four members of an informal conservative slate of candidates to next year's Faculty Council.

One of the seven council positions open this spring went to a last-minute liberal nomination and two to candidates who were not nominated by political caucuses.

The conservative slate, organized by Arthur Maass, Thomson Professor of Government, suffered only one serious loss, when B. Irvin DeVore, professor of Anthropology, a liberal, defeated Nathan Keyfitz, Andelot Professor of Sociology.

The liberals' only direct loss came when Sydney J. Freedberg '36, professor of Fine Arts, defeated Jean L. Bruneau, professor of French.

The other nominees of the 40-member Maass caucus who won election to the council are William N. Lipscomb, Lawrence Professor of Chemistry, George F. Carrier, Coolidge Professor of Applied Mathematics, and James S. Duesenberry, chairman of the Economics Department.

Elisabeth K. Allison '67, assistant professor of Economics, won election to the powerful Faculty legislative committee over Maass nominee Stephen W. Botein '63, assistant professor of History.

However, Maass said Saturday that "a lot of my friends voted for Allison" and Faculty liberals generally consider her a conservative. Sources suggest that Allison is more conservative on Faculty matters than Botein.

Linda V. Seidel, lecturer on Fine Arts, considered a liberal though not affiliated with any slate, also won election to the council. She defeated a Maass nominee, Judith A. Kates, assistant professor of English.

One liberal Faculty member said yesterday that he considers the group elected to the council this spring "an equitable balance."

The election was divided into separate races in six different categories--Natural Sciences tenured and non-tenured, Social Sciences tenured and non-tenured, and Humanities tenured and non-tenured.

Two hundred ninety-five of the 730 Faculty members voted in the election, the smallest turnout ever for a council election.

Since the council's inception in 1970, liberal and conservative caucuses have both nominated slates of candidates every spring. This year, however, only the conservatives nominated a slate and the liberals, caught unprepared, had to ask Rosovsky to add DeVore and Bruneau to the ballot.

Members of both groups acknowledge that the council does not consider any issues with possible political implications. Rosovsky said last month that the caucuses remain active because "you can't have an election without parties.