THE GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS

Transfer and Advanced Standing students refer also to pages 39-40.

A. The General Education requirement governing choice of courses has two components: 1) a basic requirement, and 2) an additional distribution requirement.

1) The basic requirement in each of the three areas--Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, and Humanities--can be met either with one full or two half-courses offered by the Committee on General Education; or with two full or four half-courses offered by Departments or Committees of Instruction.*

Note: The basic requirement may be met by combining General Education courses with Departmental courses: i.e., one-half course offered by the Committee on General Education combined with two half-courses offered by departments will meet the basic requirement in each area.

Note: To meet the basic requirement students must take one full or two half-courses in each area for a letter-grade.

2) In addition to fulfilling the basic requirement each student is required to take two additional full courses, or four additional half-courses, outside his area of concentration.

B. Language courses designated by capital letters and taken to fulfill the language requirement may not be counted toward the General Education requirements.

C. Departmental 91 courses may be counted toward the General Education requirement. Independent Work may not be counted toward the General Education requirement.

D. If a program of concentration includes courses offered by more than one department and the courses fall in different areas (as in History and Literature) the student may, for purposes of fulfilling his General Education requirements, elect as his "area of concentration" any area in which he has taken two or more full courses and counted them toward his concentration.

E. Courses which fulfill the stipulations of the General Education requirement may also be used to fulfill concentration requirements if the department of concentration approves. --Rules Relating to College Studies, 1973-1974