THE STAGE

Born Yesterday is a late '40s remake of the Pygmalion story. The movie is pretty drab, even for fluff, but Judy Holliday stole the show and saved it with her portrayal of the dumbest of all dumb blondes. The revival at the Loeb has its own virtues: see page two. Born Yesterday is playing Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. Tickets half an hour before the performance, at the door.

The Laughing Stock purports to be irreverent musical and political humor. Like so many things that resort to describing themselves as irreverent, it's spotty. It's playing in a cafe-like atmosphere in The Grotto, 'neath Henri IV, at 96 Winthrop Street. Tues--Thurs at 8, Fri at 7:30 and 9:30. Sat at 8 and 10, Sun at 8.

Dreyfus in Rehearsal is a flawed play on its way to New York, but it's probably the best piece of professional theater in Boston at the moment. Ruth Gordon and Sam Levene play members of a pre-war Polish theater troupe performing a play about Alfred Dreyfus, and aside from a lack of historical depth, the show works fairly well. Nightly at 7:30, matinees Thursday and Saturday at 2.

Persephone's Return takes the "marriage is hell" cliche quite literally indeed. But it's an interesting, powerful translation of archaic myth into contemporary issues. Presented by the Rhode Island Feminist Theater at the Caravan Theater, 1555 Mass Ave, Fri and Sat at 8 and 10 p.m.

The Diary of Adam and Eve is a remake of a not-so-old but still forgotten Broadway musical, The Apple Tree. It's only virtue is the price of a ticket--$1. Boston Repertory Theater, corner of Marlborough and Berkley Street.

The Proposition is playing again--the bitter strike against the management ending in the rehiring of many original cast members. 241 Hampshire Street, Inman Square. Thurs and Fri at 8, Sat at 8 and 10.