Music

Mahavishnu Orchestra, with Loggins and Messima. This is the weirdest double bill since Soft Machine and Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys backed Jimi Hendrix in '69. The Orchestra plays swirling, spiritual jazz-rock, from John McLaughlin's mystical base. Loggins-Messina are Buffalo Springfield drawn through Poco. This lot played at the Common this summer. And cut everybody except Smokey. October 27th at the AQUARIUS. 7 and 10 p.m. Tickets: $3.50-5.50

Roy Buchanan. Rolling Stone's "best known unknown musician in the world" in a rare trip away from the Crossroads a saloon in Gaithurburg. Maryland. His band, the Snakestretchers, is classic crummy roadhouse, but the cultists come to hear Roy. Clapton and Garcia love him; the lead singer gave up the guitar after he heard Roy. November 1st at the AQUARIUS. 8 p.m. Tickets: $4-6.

Jethro Tull. More in line is "Ian Anderson with...." because Tull's not much more than that now. I started to fall out with the band when they tossed out Mick Abrahams in late '69, Tull's stage act is equal parts music and theater. But then, so's their studio act. Sometimes I'd rather see Townshend smash guitars. November 1st and 2nd at BOSTON GARDEN. Tickets: $4-6.

Quicksilver, Boz Scaggs, and Estus. I never could stand Quicksilver, and I've never heard of Estus, but I'm half tempted to go just to hear Boz, one of rock's unsung heroes, mix country, rock, blues, and nightclub music. The rest of the show plays as a tune-up for Dead freaks. October 31st at the AQUARIUS. 7:30 and 11 p.m. Tickets: $4-6.

AQUARIUS. Oct. 27: Mahavishnu Orchestra, with Leggins and Messima. 7 p.m. and 10 pm., $3.50-5.50. Oct. 31: Quicksilver, Boz Scaggs and Estus. 7:30 and 11 p.m., $4-6. Nov. 1: Roy Buchanan, 8 p.m., $4-6.

BOSTON GARDEN. Nov. 1 and 2: Jethro Tull. $4-6.

DUNSTER HOUSE DINING ROOM: Harvard Cabaret, featuring Mumjey South acoustic music in concert. Oct. 28, 8:30 p.m. midnight, $.75 (Food and drink available).

OLD WEST CHURCH: Edward Tarr and George Kent in a Bareque Trumpet and Organ Recital. Oct. 28. 4 p.m. $2, $3.

SANDERS THEATER: 53rd Annual Dartmouth Concert, featuring the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra and the Harvard University Band, Oct. 27, 8 p.m., $1, $1.50.