Time Lists 40 Who Attended Harvard Among 200 Future American Leaders

By Hannah J. Zackson

Forty people who have attended Harvard are among 200 chosen by Time Magazine as America's "leaders of tomorrow."

In today's Time, a 38-page supplement lists the people who seem to the magazine's editors "destined to provide the United States with new leadership." The list includes politicians, businessmen, athletes, educators and scientists.

Presidents Bok and Horner, Doris Kearns, associate professor of Government, James Q. Wilson, Shattuck Professor of Government, and Dr. Robert Coles '50, research psychiatrist to the University Health Services, made the list.

'Significant Impact'

The 200 were chosen on the basis of their capability to achieve "significant civic or social impact," Time said in a press release yesterday.

The youngest person on the list is Patrick Caddell '72, who acted as George McGovern's pollster in the 1972 presidential campaign and is currently a partner in Cambridge Survey Research.

All members of the list are under 45, but only three are under 30. Out of the 200, only 19 are women.

A dozen U. S. Senators, 21 congressmen, 10 governors and 15 mayors made the top 200, including Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54 (D-Mass.).

Appreciation to Ridicule

People's reaction to learning that they were on the list varied yesterday from deep appreciation to ridicule.

Kearns said, "it's a sobering and ridiculous thought that the next generation of leaders will be my friends and I instead of the elders who were looked upon with awe and scorn."

"If I'm a leader, where are my followers?" Wilson said.

Coles attributed his acceptance on the list to his writings on Indians and Chicanos.

Marina V. N. Whitman '56, a member of the Board of Overseers, said her role as an advisor to the Federal Economic Council and Price Commission put her on the list. She is now a professor of economics at the University of Pittsburgh.

Other notables on the list include tennis player Billie Jean King, Princeton President William G. Bowen, Congresswoman Elizabeth Holtzman '62 (D-N.Y.), New York Times Sunday editor Max Frankel, and basketball player Bill Bradley