As Usual, The Big Green Is the Ivy Team to Beat

Making pre-season predictions in the topsyturvy Ivy League is inevitably a fruitless task. About the only sure bet every fall is that Dartmouth will finish first. Each year four or five well-balanced teams take a run at the Indians, but somehow the Big Green always manages to come out on top--Dartmouth has captured at least a share of the Ivy crown every year since 1969, incluing three outright championships. In the last two years, four teams have had a shot at the title going into the last two weeks of the season, but Dartmouth has pulled it out each time.

This year figures to be much of the same thing. Dartmouth, coming off a "rebuilding" year, has the material and the winning attitude to do it again. But Harvard, Brown, Yale, Pennsylvania and Cornell have the potential to take all the marbles with a little bit of luck. Only hapless Princeton and Columbia appear out of the title picture. The team outlooks and predicted order of finish:

1. DARTMOUTH. The Big Green should have a strong passing game, with veteran quarterback Tom Snickenberger tossing to receivers Mark McAleenan and Tom Fleming. The offensive line is solid, with three returning starters and capable replacements. The big concern is at running back, where the Indians lost all three starters.

Defensively, the linebacking corps appears to be the strongest area, with three holdovers led by All-Ivy Reggie Williams. The defensive line will miss three time All-Ivy end Tom Castari, but the two starting tackles are back and there is a walth of depth at end. The defensive backfield is the chink in the Big Green armor, with only one returning starter. Another Indian problem is filling the shoes of Dartmouth record-holding place kicker Ted Perry.

If the offensive and defensive backfields come around, the Big Green should repeat for an unprecedented sixth straight time.

2. YALE. Yale should have one of the best year, and Vaughan himself was the Ivies' total ground games in the Ivy League next season. Leading Ivy rusher Rudy Green is back with an offensive line that features four returnees, led by All-Ivy tackle Al Moras. Tim Doyle is at quarterback, and although he is one of the best running quarterbacks in the League, he has trouble completing anything beyond a screen pass.

Yale's defense will be out to repeat its performance as the least scored-on in the league. The Elis have a number of experienced players-returning, including All-East tackle Rich Feryok and All-East halfback Elvin Charity.

Should the passing attack pick up over last year's and the defensive line fill out, Carm Cozza's team might go all the way. If last year's 35-0 season finale shellacking of Harvard is any indication of the coming year, the rest of the league had better watch out for the Bulldogs.

3. HARVARD. Can Milt Holt fill Jim Stoeckel's shoes? Can Joe Restic and his staff come up with replacements for his graduation-depleted defense? If so, the Crimson may take the Ivy crown.

4. PENNSYLVANIA. Penn has perhaps the best-balanced offense in the league. The passing game, led by quarterback Marty Vaughan, was ranked fourth in the nation last offense leader. The Quakers also posses the most explosive back in the league in Adolph Bellizeare. Every time he gets the ball, Bellizeare is a threat to break one off for a long gain.

Complimenting Bellizeare in the backfield is Jack Wixted at fullback, who averaged an amazing 6.3 yards per carry last year. Against Harvard Wixted broke off two 44-yard runs and caught a 23-yard touchdown pass. Together, Wixted and Bellizeare provide the Red and Blue with the most dangerous running combination to hit the Ivy League in a long time.

Penn is also strong at end with Bob Bucola, who averaged a staggering 27 yards per catch. The offensive line is weak with only one starter returning, but there are many players with varsity experience competing for jobs.

Penn's defense could be its downfall. Only three starters are back, led by All-Ivy tackle Dirk Whitehead. Penn will need help from its sophomores to fill the gaps.

Penn has a great offense but a rotten defense. If the defense should come through the Quakers will win the title. But if the defense is as porous as last year, no matter how many points Vaughan, Bellizeare and company put up on the board, the Quakers will have to settle for another back-seat finish.

5. BROWN. There is more excitement in Providence about the coming season than ever before, after Brown finished on top for the first time since 1958. The Bruins have a good quarterback in Pete Beatrice and a solid halfback in Mike Sokolowski. Altogether there are eight returning starters on offense.

The defense has five holdovers, but the linebacking situation is shaky. The front wall should be excellent, with end Bill Taylor and tackles Rick Zins and Phil Bartlett.

Brown's major problem will be depth. If injuries occur, the Bruins are ruined. Many have already picked Brown to take the Ivy championship, however, so maybe there is something to all the commotion in Providence.

6. CORNELL. The Big Red has an excellent ground attack led by halfback Dan Malone and tailback Don Fanelli. The offense line is uncertain, with only one starter returning. The big problem is finding a replacement at quarterback for Mark Allen, the Ivies' leading passer.

The defense looks weak. Only four starters are back, and there are big gaps created by the loss of All-East middle linebacker Bob Lally and All-East middle guard Mike Phillips.

If Cornell find a quarterback the Big Red will be tough, but not really first-place calibre.

7. PRINCETON. The Tigers have All-Ivy halfback Walt Snickenberger, and that's about it.

8. COLUMBIA. The less said the better.

Each of the top five teams has an explosive offense, but defense is the name of the game in football, and Dartmouth has the best of the bunch. With a strong offense, the Big Green should give Jake Crouthamel his third straight Ivy title.