Harvard to Cut Parking Stalls For Employees by 25 Per Cent

Harvard has announced plans to eliminate 25 per cent of its employee parking spaces before next April to meet provisions of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Air Quality Transportation Control plan for the Boston area.

The plans, attached to an August 30 letter from the University Planning Office to the EPA, do not affect the current number of parking spaces alloted to students and resident personnel.

The University intends to reduce its 2965 parking spaces for commuting employees by 741. It will close off sections of existing parking lots, encourage the use of car pools and public transportation and possibly expand the campus bus service.

To discourage employees from parking, Harvard will raise its parking fees and intensify its enforcement of parking rules.

The EPA and the State Transportation Department last November jointly devised a "transportation control plan" to meet requirements of the 1970 federal Clean Air and Water Act.

University Planning Director Harold L. Goyette said Tuesday Harvard's teaching faculty in Cambridge and in the Medical Area will be among persons affected by the cut in parking spaces. He added that the current ratio of parking spaces to employees is 42 per cent.

The plans submitted August 30 noted that current parking fees do not cover adequately the operating costs of the University parking program. They suggest that "as these fees are increased on an annual basis...it is anticipated that a number of commuting employees will be more inclined to use public transportation."

Recommended Articles

University Place Needs Council Okay
If the Cambridge City Council approves its request for a set of street changes across from the Mt. Auburn St.
Merchants Appeal For More Parking
Harvard Square merchants last night appealed to the University to revamp its plans for a $25 million Mt. Auburn St.
Red Tape, High Fees: Looking for Parking
For Dean of Undergraduate Education Susan G. Pedersen, where to park her car is the last thing on her mind
Cambridge May Require Parking For New Dorms
The University might have to provide parking spaces within 1500 feet of future dormitory buildings, if the City Council adopts
Parking Fees Will Soar; Harvard Adds to Spaces
The University is planning a five-year program to expand its parking facilities by nearly 50 per cent-an increase which will
Harvard Initiates Parking Charges; Workers Protest
Beginning Monday, Harvard will charge Faculty members and employees from $10 to $90 per year to park on University property.