New Management Group Begins Work

Utilities May Be Divested

The long-term investment policy being formulated by the Harvard Management Company will result in a gradual reduction in public utilities and the total number of companies in Harvard's portfolio.

Although specific policies have not yet been outlined in detail, the broad strategies Harvard Management will use in light of the bleak economic outlook and high rate of inflation will require a cutback in Harvard holdings in regulated companies, such as public utilities.

George Sigular, assistant to Harvard Treasurer George Putnam '49, said Friday that because public utilities cannot increase their charges to customers in line with their raising costs they are not considered good investments at this time.

Harvard's holdings in several power companies became a major issue among students and the Advisory Committee for Shareholder Responsibility last year as a result of the companies' plans to build large new power plants.

Recommended Articles

???????
?????veral copies of recen: CRIM ? into the Mississippi Delta. a ? mnus now living in Greenville ? to a
THOMAS AND CABOT ENGAGE IN DEBATE
Yesterday afternoon in the Harvard Liberal Club, Norman Thomas, presidential candidate of the socialist party in the recent election, and
BRASS TACKS
A few weeks ago, a Virginia power commission received two requests for permission to build power plants. One was from
Harvard's Investment in Sudan Part of a Larger Problem
By Bryan J. Auchterlonie Sudan is the greatest human rights catastrophe in the world today. As more than five years
Forced to withdraw
While Harvard generates liberal thought, it also generates cold hard cash. Harvard’s endowment surpassed the billion-dollar mark in 1970 and
Brown Divests from Companies Tied to Sudan
Brown University’s highest governing board voted Saturday to divest its holdings in companies doing business in Sudan—becoming the second Ivy