Visual Studies Executive Committee Considers Plans to Streamline Courses, Regulate Hiring

By Beth Stephens

The executive committee of the Visual and Environmental Studies Department is considering proposals to streamline the curriculum of the department, Robert G. Gardner '48, acting chairman of the VES Department said yesterday.

Gardner said the department would cover the same topics it does now, but the emphasis would change.

Selected areas, such as film, would be covered in greater depth, while others would be covered only in introductory courses, he said.

"The department covers many interests, but its resources are limited," Gardner said. "You have to consider what you want to teach, make trade-offs."

Gardner said the committee is also trying to establish regular hiring policies for the department, in line with those in the rest of the University. "Hiring has been pretty much on an ad hoc basis," he said.

Five Years Old

Dean Rosovsky named the executive committee one year ago to evaluate the VES Department, which was established five years ago. The committee includes representatives from the Faculty, as well as senior VES faculty members.

John M. Rosenfield, professor of Fine Arts, said yesterday the committee was formed to aid the VES planning process because the department is small, with few administrative personnel.

Gardner said the proposals under discussion by the committee call for no change in the size of the concentration. "Nothing presently covered by the department will be discarded," Gardner said, "just covered in less depth."

Much for Many

"We've been trying to do so much for so many," Gardner said. He said that none of these plans has been finalized, and he expects the committee to make a final report to Dean Rosovsky by the end of the fall semester.

Robert J. Kiely, chairman of the executive committee and associate dean of the Faculty, was unavailable for comment.