Soccer Squad Starts '74 Season on Right Foot

Soccer Coach Wins in Debut; Ford's Booters Beat MIT 1-0

By Efthimios O. Vidalis

Beating MIT is a Harvard soccer tradition. The method and the extent of the demolition have in the past been indicative of the caliber of the Crimson squad.

Unlike last year's dismal squad, which lucked out with a 1-0 score, scored by MIT against its own net, the Crimson was slighted by winning only 1-0 yesterday on a sizzling shot by Mark Zimering.

Though the enthusiasts that braved the cold windy weather to watch the game were not rewarded with finesse or a goal-scoring duel, they saw a strong and conditioned Harvard team run all over a weak, often hapless, MIT, giving hints of the jig-saw puzzle that coach George Ford has been quietly piecing together in the last few weeks.

Ford seems to be a fanatic on conditioning, a stickler on crisp passing and a perfectionist. His coaching style on the field seems to show daring and a willingness to experiment.

He shuffled his starting line-up considerably from last Saturday's scrimmage with UMass, playing Art Faden along with Lyman Bullard and Chriss Saunders at the halfback positions of his 4-3-3 formation. Faden had been a wing with a scoring punch on last year's squad, while Bullard and Saunders had both played at fullback slots in Saturday's scrimmage against UMass.

Hopes for Strong Center

Ford apparently intends to develop a strong center game by placing there the three players who seem to have the most developed ball control skills. He is hoping that they will develop opportunities for his scoring duo for years to come.

Mark Zimering and Eric Zager, two short but speedy sophomores playing the central positions in the four-man front of the 4-3-3, did develop opportunities, troubled the MIT defense and combined to score the game's only goal in the first half.

The score came after 20 minutes of play. Bob Thompson, playing fullback, brought the ball up the field. He made a cross-pass to Lyman Bullard who was checked and missed it. The ball was picked up by Zager who sped down the middle of the field, drew the fullback and made a diagonal ground pass to Zimering. Zimering broke through two more MIT defenders to score.

Falling Flurries

Again and again the Crimson would harass the MIT side of the turf but did not get any solid shots off. A flurry of shots towards the end of the half gave MIT a scare but could not produce another goal. While Harvard had ten shots in the first half and five corner kicks, MIT was allowed seven shots on goal and one corner kick.

The second half was a more exciting half which saw Harvard clearly in control, shooting 15 shots on goal, putting one in the nets, only to have it nullified by the referee on a questionable off-side call.

Zimering alone took more than ten shots in the game, and also scored the nullified goal.

Zimering and Zager will be the key to the Crimson future. Aside from their obvious speed they have solid shooting and potential as net zippers in the Ivy League.

Though prospects for the season look optimistic at this point, the first test will come at Wesleyan next Wednesday.