Crimson Cagers Collapse on the Road; Succumb to Pennsylvania, Princeton

By James Cramer

Tom Sanders brought Harvard's traveling basketball road show into Philadelphia and Princeton last weekend, and the results were predictable. The Quakers and Tigers took turns mauling the defenseless Crimson, now 1-2 in league play, each vying to see who could tally the most off of Sanders's hapless squad.

Penn won the derby handily, blowing the Crimson off the hardwood to the tune of 103-75. Princeton lagged far behind but still managed to finish ten points ahead of Harvard, 67-57.

The Quakers, bouncing back from a 50-49 humbling against Princeton one week ago, showed the offensive muscle that Ivy opponents had begun to think was non-existent. Penn started out quickly, jumping to a 47-21 differential at the half.

With a hometown Palestra crowd of 3661 cheering local boy Mark Lonetto on, Penn's hot shooting forward canned most of his career high--21 points--during the first 20 minutes of the contest.

For Harvard, it was another of Sanders's juggled line-ups that had to face the Penn onslaught. This time forward Arnie Needleman got the nod for starting guard, while Sanders positioned Lou Silver in the center, with Bill Carey and Doc Hines underneath, and Steve Selinger filling in as guard.

This line-up, Sanders's seventh is 11 games, failed to click defensively, as John Engles and Ron Haigler later joined Lonetto in scoring in the low twenties. "We didn't play too much," Needleman said yesterday. "The defense hasn't been too good and there were too many turnovers."

Sanders's experimentation did reveal the scoring potential of Hines, who netted 11 points in the losing cause. Needleman also scrounged for 11 in a game which saw all 13 Crimson cagers racking up a few points.

Paper Tiger?

Sanders, sticking with the same starting line-up against Princeton, almost saw his balancing act produce, as the Crimson came back strong in the second half after trailing 33-24. Hines, again top man for the Crimson shooters, with 13, paced a well-rounded scoring attack. Needleman and Silver flanked Hines with ten each.

But the Crimson's 40 per cent shooting from the field could not match the Tiger attack.

In both games Crimson forwards failed to box out their opponents. Harvard succeeded, however, in outrebounding the Tigers, 40-30, with Lou Silver leading all takers with 12.

A decisive 21-rebound spread against the Quakers cut short the Crimson's offensive potential from its inception. Everybody's all-American favorite Haigler and junior Engles set up a rebound trust, cornering the market with ten and nine each.

"We're not 25 points worse than Penn," Needleman said with a note of optimism. "I think we will get it together. We just haven't been playing together too well."