Boston College Whips Crimson in Beanpot, 86-77

Eagles Surge in Last Quarter To Pull Away From Deadlock

By Michael K. Savit

The Crimson cagers had just finished staging their second furious comeback of the game, and as they gathered around Coach Tom Sanders during a Boston College time out, an upset victory in the Beanpot Classic seemed within their reach.

The score stood deadlocked at 60 and Harvard had the momentum, but unfortunately, there were still ten minutes left in the game.

Then the Bob Carrington-Wil Morrison show took over for the Eagles, and when it was over, Boston College had its first Beanpot victory since 1971, 86-77 over a gallant Crimson squad.

Five Inches Taller

The Eagles really had no business letting Harvard come so close. Far superior in talent, Boston College's starters stood an average of almost five inches taller than their opponents.

Yet Harvard kept on fighting, and only ran out of gas midway through the final half, after having turned a 56-47 deficit into the 60-60 deadlock.

Carrington (26 points, 11 rebounds) and Morrison (31 points, 11 rebounds) were simply too good though, and they led the Eagles into a 70-60 advantage from which Harvard could never recover.

Carrington was later named the tournament's Most Valuable Player, as he broke the Beanpot scoring record by tallying 54 points in the two games.

Each standing 6ft. 6in., Carrington and Morrison teamed up front with 6ft. 10in. Bill Collins and 6ft. 11in. Paul Berwanger. The quartet allowed the Eagles to cash in on many offensive rebounds, a factor that proved decisive considering the fact that Harvard had a better shooting percentage than did B.C.

Once again, the Crimson featured a balanced scoring attack that was highlighted by the 16-point performances of Bill Carey and Lou Silver. Steve Selinger added 14, including the first eight that the Crimson scored.

In the end, though, the Eagles' talent advantage proved too much for an undersized and undermanned Harvard outfit. Brian Banks saw limited action for the Crimson, which could have used his 6 ft. 9 in. frame to help underneath against the towering Eagles.

Harvard enters the exam break with a 4-9 record, but with Cornell and Columbia in the horizon, there is still hope for the future.