DuBois, Public Health School To Get $100,000 Luce Grant

The Henry Luce Foundation of New York last week awarded joint grants totaling more than $100,000 to the W.E.B. DuBois Institute for Afro-American Research and the School of Public Health.

The Institute received $72,000 from the Foundation, to be allocated over three years to support graduate students working on dissertations at the Institute. It is the first grant the Institute has received since its creation in 1969.

Stipend for Minorities

The School of Public Health will receive $30,000 to be given over three years, for tuition and stipend support to minority students, Dr. Donald Henderson, assistant to the dean, said yesterday.

President Bok said last week that the grant to the Institute "is a promising start that gives us great hope for success in continuing our solicitations."

Robert Armstrong, program director for the Luce Foundation, said yesterday that Bok personally handled negotiations with the Foundation and he approached them in September.

Pleased by Support

Andrew F. Brimmer, Carroll Ford Visiting Professor of Business Administration and chairman of the 12-man DuBois Institute Board of Advisors, said last week he was "pleased that the initial funds obtained by the Institute were given to support graduate fellowships."

Walter J. Leonard, special assistant to the President, said yesterday the Institute "will be getting other grants" but refused to elaborate.

Derrick A. Bell, professor of law and member of the Institute advisory board, said yesterday several other foundations have been solicited, with Bok taking "major responsibility" for the drive.

Brimmer said fellowships created by the grant will become available in September, but did not say how many graduate students could be supported.

Five to Benefit

Henderson said perhaps about five students will be supported by the School of Public Health grant, beginning in September. He said recent reductions in government grants to graduate students forced the school to seek outside financing.

Both grants may be eligible for renewal after the initial three-year period, a representative of the Foundation said last week.

Projected Figures

The Institute's projected annual budget is $320,000--some $245,000 of which is expected to come from government, foundation or individual grants.

Professor Ewart Guinier, chairman of the Afro-American Studies Department, who has been critical of the Bok administration's handling of the Institute's development, would not comment on the grant yesterday.