LEMOYNE'S RESPONSE:

THE MAIL

The sources for my article are such noted "communist journals" as The Report of the U.S. Senate Subcommittee on Multinational Corporations, Part I, 1973, and the New York Times's article on CIA "destabilization" expenditures in Chile.

Only the Chilean junta claims Allende committed suicide. Allende's wife, after leaving Chile, said Allende was shot 13 times by Chilean soldiers.

I would never argue that U.S. intervention was solely responsible for the military coup. However, without U.S. military aid and training, guarantees of support for the junta, CIA "destabilization" tactics, and the cut-off of almost all economic aid to Chile by the U.S. and international credit organizations--the conditions which permitted the military to stage a successful coup would not have existed.

Maybe Chilean Congressmen did not take CIA money, but the CIA did not spend $8 million on peanuts. However, if you accept that the CIA bought no votes in the Chilean Congress, you can then accept congressional votes as reasonably legitimate. With this in mind you should note that the Chilean Congress constitutionally voted Allende to be president of Chile.