Icemen Move to Number One In This Week's National Poll

The high flying Harvard hockey squad (13-2-0 overall), the top team in both the Ivy League (6-0) and the ECAC (11-0), is now also the top collegiate club in the nation, according to this week's national poll.

The panel of ten college coaches awarded the Crimson four first place votes, while second place Minnesota (19-7-1) picked up three. Harvard received 86 points overall, nine better than Minnesota.

The state of Michigan had three representatives among the top ten. Michigan Tech (18-8-6) nabbed the number three spot, with Michigan State (18-10-1) voted fourth. Michigan (14-12-0) slipped in at number eight.

The Crimson's ECAC rival, Boston University, which is breathing down Harvard's neck in the league with a 11-1-0 slate, received 64 votes in the poll, for fifth place. Other Eastern foes New Hampshire and Providence are ninth and tenth respectively in the nation.

Rounding out the top ten, Wisconsin (17-9-0) and Colorado College (17-9-0) finished seventh and eighth.

Billy Cleary's Crimson icemen get back into action this Monday in Boston Garden, taking on Northeastern in the opening round of the annual Beanpot Tournament. Harvard will be relying on the talents of Brian Petrovek to stop the potent Husky attack. Petro is the top goaltender in the East with a 2.37 average while North-eastern boasts the number two and three scorers in the league, Charlie Huck and Jim Martel.