Bill Lee To Be Sunday's Starter

Manager Darrell Johnson of the Boston Red Sox pulled a surprise Thursday by naming southpaw Bill Lee to start the second game of the World Series Sunday against the Cincinnati Reds.

Lee, who has not started a game since Sept. 19 in Detroit, was brought out of the bullpen for several reasons, Johnson said.

"For one thing, Lee's left arm is fine again after a little sorness and basically he's a ground-ball pitcher," Johnson explained. "He also has been a consistent winner in our ballpark."

Johnson selected Lee over right-handers Rick Wise and Reggie Cleveland.

Wise will start in the third game in Cincinnati next Tuesday night, Johnson said. "He is a high-ball pitcher and should do better in their big ballpark and on their artificial turf. Cleveland is a sinker-ball pitcher and that causes a shaky situation."

Cleveland, who started the second game of the Red Sox' three-game American League playoff sweep of Oakland, will be in the Boston bullpen for the first three games.

Boston ace Luis Tiant, who pitched a three-hitter against Oakland in the first playoff game, will start in the opening World Series game Saturday.