Ed School Runs $65,000 Surplus Despite Last Year's Deficit Prediction

By Thomas W. Janes

The Graduate School of Education came out with a surplus of $65,000 in the past fiscal year, despite earlier predictions that the Ed School would face a $300,000 deficit, which would force staff cutbacks.

Paul N. Ylvisaker, dean of the Ed School, who said last year that the Ed School would have a 6 per cent deficit and possible cutbacks in administrative and support staff, said yesterday a "sudden upsurge" of 100 students over the originally projected enrollment figures was the reason for the more than $350,000 turnaround.

Larger Percentage

The Ed School did not accept more students than in the past, Ylvisaker said, but a larger percentage of those accepted decided to attend.

The increased enrollment combined with a $320 tuition increase to add more than $2 million to the Ed School's income.

The Ed School's income--which comes from tuition, endowment, private and foundation gifts and foundation grants--totalled $6,485,000 in the past year, while expenditures ran to $6,420,000.

The savings on expenditures came with "no cutbacks in personnel," according to Blenda J. Wilson, associate dean for administration.

But posts vacated by attrition were not filled and the size of the staff did not increase, Wilson added.

The increase in the Ed School's income was also due to savings of 25 per cent on energy expenditures and an unexpected increase in government and private foundation grants, Harold N. Putnam, financial officer for the Ed School, said yesterday.

Putnam said planned fuel saving measures and the closing of the school over Christmas break were "very crucial" in shaving $38,000 from the $154,000 that was budgeted for light and power.

Even though overall Foundation gifts to the University fell by $6.6 million in the past year, foundation gifts to the Ed School "unexpectedly increased" to nearly $1 million, Putnam said.

In addition he said, the Ed School received $500,000 in government grants.

The Ed School budget figures will appear in the completed treasurer's financial report to the Board of Overseers, which details University income and expenditures. The report will not be completed and released until after the next Overseers' meeting on November 17