Heat Costs Force Closing During Winter Vacation

By Mark D. Gearan

The University will close down almost all College facilities and some of the housing system for most of the winter recess in an attempt to cut heating costs, Dean Rosovsky announced yesterday.

Rosovsky said the shutdown may save approximately $150,000 in additional fuel bills.

The shutdown is necessary because Faculty heating bills jumped $600,000 in the last two academic years, Rosovsky said in a notice circulated today to all House and undergraduate residents.

Rosovsky said in the notice that "in recent years the single item most responsible for increasing room rents has been the rising price of energy

The closure during the first two weeks of the recess will affect practically all libraries, athletic facilities, and offices.

The housing shutdown policy was made possible through a change made this year in the student room contract that each student signs at the beginning of the year.

The 1975-76 contract says the University is under no obligation to furnish heat in the student's room during an academic vacation. The student who chooses to occupy the room is required to furnish his or her own heat through an electrical space heater approved by the University.

During the housing shutdown the temperatures may fall below 40 degrees. Small "warm zones" of 60-65 degrees will be maintained in the Yard and some houses in order to accomodate those students and tutors who are forced to stay in Cambridge, Rosovsky said in the notice.

Bruce Collier, assistant dean of the College, is currently examining the heating systems of each House and dormitory to determine which entries are most feasible to house those who must stay.

'Partial Levels'

Temperatures will be returned to "partial heat levels" of about 55 degrees in areas closed earlier from noon on Monday, January 5, through noon on Sunday, January 11, and returned to normal levels throughout the system at noon on Sunday, January 11, Rosovsky said.

Rosovsky, in a notice circulated to all Houses and undergraduate dormitory residents, urges all students to leave "for this entire period." Those students who must be in residence between December 20 and January 5 must inform their House office or Freshman Dean's Office.