Businessmen, Students Mingle, Discuss Corporations' Policies

By Eileen King

Representatives from major American corporations met yesterday with 50 Harvard students to discuss such issues as multinational firms, marketing, business ethics, federal controls, and equal opportunity.

The businesses represented were all members of the National Association of Manufacturers, a lobbying group for American business.

Students who attended the conference were openly critical of American business practices.

Christopher F. Voss '76, who attended the discussion, said later that he went because "I'm interested in hearing the business leaders of America's direct responses to questions about the social responsibilities of business, ethics, or lack thereof."

Paul L. Bixby '77 said yesterday he attended the discussion because he is "thinking of business as a career" and "wanted to hear the other side of the problems business sees itself having in the bad economic situation we're in."

Bixby said he was interested in what the businessmen had to say. "This is a lobbying group," he explained. "Its views are exactly what's being pumped into Congress and are one of the things taken into consideration when Congress passes legislation."

David B. Meeker, chairman of the manufacturers' association, said yesterday that he was sure all the corporations present had equal opportunity programs because equal opportunity is the "law of the land." He said, under student questioning, that there are many problems with such a program.

Meeker added, "Industry and business are recast in an adversary role with the consumer" because of campaigns by media and consumer groups.

Thomas C. Raymond, professor of Business Administration at the Business School who helped to sponsor the meeting, said yesterday that he felt the discussion was important. "The more young people learn first hand about business, the better they evaluate it," he said.

He added "students ought to know what they're criticizing."

Donald W. Davis, the manufacturers' association president, said yesterday "students are no longer any more negative than the public" about business.

People are "disillusioned with institutions in general," he added.

The National Association of Manufacturers contacted Raymond earlier this year about holding the discussion at Harvard, Raymond said. He teaches a Quincy House course entitled "Business in American Life."