Council Candidate Profiles

Barbara Ackermann+*

Long a favorite candidate of the "WASP ghetto" running out along Brattle St., reform incumbent Barbara Ackermann knows her constituency well.

Ackermann's involvement in Cambridge politics has been a 14-year affair, starting with election, and two successive re-elections to the school committee. Then, in 1967, she entered and handily won the contest for councilor, a post she has easily retained in later elections. In 1971, when reform candidates narrowly captured a 5-4 majority in the council, she was made the first woman mayor of the city. And last election, though an independent majority forced her to step down from the city throne, Ackermann helped engineer the famous "living room deal" which brought in James L. Sullivan as city manager.

Even without her reputation as a winner, Ackermann's strength as a reformer will win votes again for her in the "gentile liberal" Neighborhood 9. Particularly strong has been her involvement in housing reform and health care, both recurrent issues in Cambridge's political cycle. Like other incumbents, Ackermann has pointed to the $5.50 tax rate decrease as "a real gain," arguing that last year's $33 jump in the rate stemmed from the city's "total financial incapacity" under the old city manager.

Active, successful, and well-respected in her "district" and in City Hall, Ackermann will have little trouble defending her candidacy. And, unless her political strengths wane suddenly, Cambridge is guaranteed her return to council chambers for yet another term.

Denis Barber

In a city council race virtually laden with colorful personalities, Denis Barber '60 has got to be the most controversial. Barber was embroiled earlier this year in what he calls a witch hunt, when the Cambridge Convention voted to un-endorse him after he came out against strict rent controls. Barber has stuck by his guns and asked that the rent control issue be less of a sacred cow, because he claims rent laws discourage landlords from maintaining property, contributing to the decline of Cambridge housing.

But by no means is Barber a one-issue candidate. Although some would label him politically conservative, he says he agrees with much of the Cambridge Convention '75 platform. However, he says, unlike the rest of the slate, he's not an ideologue, but a "problem solver."

As for Harvard, Barber said that the school is a good neighbor, and is "over-maligned" by the current council.

Barber said he knows no reason to pay a city councilor $150 a night to discuss a United Farm Workers boycott when "Cambridge has so many goddamn problems that need attending to."

If elected, Barber says he will bring in some of his fiscally conservative policies and try to fight the polarization between extreme liberals and conservatives with politically practical suggestions.

John Brode*

When John Brode '52 lost his citizenship during the Korean War for leaving the country to avoid the draft, he could not have guessed that he would be running for a seat on the Cambridge City Council in 1975. But the McCarran Act, the instrument of Brode's exile, was declared unconstitutional in 1957, enabling him to return to the US.

An economist with a background in computers and statistical analysis, Brode is mainly concerned with economic issues. "Rent control is way and away the biggest problem," he said, while pointing out that it is only a part of the overall problem of "economic pressure" on the city. "A lot of money wants to come into Cambridge, to do things like buy land and build high-rise buildings." Rent control and zoning restrictions, he said, are potential means of preserving neighborhoods, "so that blacks and working-class people can afford to stay here."

Brode traces his ideas about government to being "impressed" with Communist-run villages in Frances, where he lived as an exile. "I'm not a liberal, but I don't think the radicals would claim me. I'm definitely left-wing, but I think that you can get something done through the political process."

Leonard J. Clarke

A graduate of the Cambridge public schools and American International College in Springfield, Leonard J. Clarke, at age 22, is the youngest candidate in the race and expects his support to come from young voters and their parents. He ticked off a list of his major objectives if he is elected: a tax cut in 1976, retention of rent control, halting the expansion of Harvard and MIT, and reducing vandalism in Cambridge schools through the use of security guards to patrol the halls.

On other issues he is less specific. He said he supports "stabilization of neighborhoods," citing rent control and down-zoning as possible ways of accomplishing this. But in true political style, Clarke added he wants to encourage land development by industry, which he says would provide more jobs, suggesting that a cut in the property tax might provide adequate incentive to businesses. He also favors more "citizen participation" in city government through interest groups and neighborhood committees.

None of these proposals is very controversial, and Clarke is quite consciously keeping his campaign low key. "Cambridge is a funny community," he said. "You have to be careful not to offend certain groups."

Clarke, at age 22, is the youngest candidate in the race and expects his support to come from young voters and their parents.

David Clem*

The figures that show how student voter registration has jumped in Cambridge this year have come as a godsend to David Clem. An urban studies and planning major from MIT and youngest president of the Riverside-Cambridgeport Community Corporation (RCCC) Clem is clearly the youth candidate on the ticket. That doesn't necessarily mean he is inexperienced in Cambridge politics. Although he didn't grow up in Cambridge, Clem is already a fixture in Cambridgeport, where he hopes to cut into incumbent Daniel J. Clinton's home-turf margin. And Clem is not lacking in support from the Harvard Square area, having tickled the collective fancy of the ritzy Brattle St. mob.

He backs up his campaign motif of neighborhood protection with practical experience in rehabilitating homes in Cambridge and obtaining government subsidies for RCCC housing. He has fought for downzoning and at time clashed with Harvard's designs for Cambridge. Clem, because of his strong political base and relatively fresh face in a sea of tired ones, is an inside shot to pick up the fifth liberal seat on the council.

Daniel J. Clinton +

Daniel J. Clinton, a three-term Independent city councilor, is battling a dangerous trend this year: since his first successful bid for the council in 1969, his electoral position has dropped from fifth place to sixth in 1971 and, finally to eighth in 1973.

Clinton said he sees the $52,000 salary of City Manager James L. Sullivan as a major issue in the election, and that doesn't make his campaign any easier. According to Clinton, Sullivan "freezes out" anyone who does not give 100 per cent support. This has cost Clinton "so-called patronage" and key campaign supporters, who have been swayed away with job offers, he says.

Clinton's direct involvement in Cambridge politics dates back to the early sixties, and he won his first city post in 1967 with a successful bid for the School Committee. Now working as a laborer ("with my hands") with the Vappi Construction Company, he also worked for over a decade as a mail carrier in Cambridge.

Clinton is centering his campaign on several issues: 1) Sullivan's salary, which Clinton said he wants to cut to the $40,000 range, and the salaries and outside residences of Sullivan's assistants; 2) the lack of progress in developing Kendall Square; and 3) the high level of unemployment in the city.

While Clinton expects Harvard votes to go to the reformers, he believes the 18-year-old vote will really help him. One reason, he added, is his seven brothers and "couple of sisters," some of whom, he says, are stil 19 or 20.

Thomas Coates

Thomas Coates is the mystery man of this year's city council race. He has almost no campaign organization to speak of, not printed any campaign literature, and is woefully short of money.

Coates's only hope for a council seat on November 4 lies in the voters' memories. He was a city councilor for six years, and during that period was one of Cambridge's few black elected officials. In 1973 he was defeated for re-election.

Coates was once endorsed by the Cambridge Civic Association but sources said that the Independent councilors want him to run to draw votes away from Saundra Graham, a black incumbent city councilor who is a strong advocate of rent control. Those sources cite Coates's position on rent control as evidence of his sympathy with the city's landlords and big real estate developers.

Now director of administrative services at Fitchburg State College, Coates is mired in a budget war with Governor Michael Dukakis and the legislature. He may win that war, but odds are he won't get a chance to use his fiscal expertise on the Cambridge City Council.

John J. Courtney

John J. Courtney, who has lived in an Irish working-class neighborhood just northwest of the Radcliffe Quad for all of his 36 years, feels that the College always considered his neighborhood somewhat of a "blight." Now that he's running for city council, he hopes that both the Independents and the Cambridge Convention '75 slate will find him to be a bit of a blight himself.

Courtney's main complaint about the Independents is that they are too tight with the big real estate developers in the city, and he said he doesn't like the Cambridge Convention people because he thinks they are too removed from the working-class people from Cambridge. Courtney points out that while 80 per cent of the families in Cambridge are tenants, all of the candidates on the Cambridge Convention slate are property owners.

Billed by his campaign manager as an "urban populist," Courtney said his constituency consists primarily of working class tenants, and unemployed workers throughout the city. Courtney also said that his primary issues are rent control, which he supports, and the deterioration of Cambridge's neighborhoods, which he opposes.

Courtney is not trying to appeal to the student population of Cambridge. "A student blitz on election day is not my idea of reform," he said. He feels that was possibly because he knows Harvard students so well, having worked four years in the Winthrop House dining hall.

Thomas W. Danehy +

Independent Thomas W. Danehy is a five-term council incumbent. A drugstore owner who would rather watch the Red Sox than talk to a reporter, Danehy said he sees a good chance for an independent majority on the new council. "There are no issues above the surface," in this year's campaign, he said, though "some have tried to create them."

Danehy's first priority is development in Kendall Square, to lift the tax burden and unemployment. After that, he stresses his vociferous opposition to rent control and public housing. "Rent control has made tenants and landlords combatants," Danehy said, "and has hindered development in Cambridge."

Danehy's proposed rent control revision would do away with the present board, and set up instead a review committee "with teeth in it" to prevent unfair rates. He is against more public housing, and feels that some projects should even be torn down because the city is so "super-saturated" with them.

Unlike most of his fellow councilors, Danehy is a strong supporter of the universities in Cambridge. He feels they work well with the city and are an integral part of it. Something else rare for an Independent, Danehy has a small pro-student plank: the universities, he said, should not be taxed by the city because the costs would only be passed on to the students.

Eric L. Davin *

When Eric L. Davin ran for the school committee two years ago, he was a "closet socialist." Now he's running for the city council on the Cambridge Convention slate, but this time is an "out-front" socialist, trying to promote radical change.

Davin describes himself as a "working class kid from Arizona who was lucky he was able to afford finishing high school." He moved to Cambridge seven years ago to study drama at the Loeb and stayed. He now lives in a commune in North Cambridge "surrounded by the middle class."

"I don't want capitalism to work again," he says. "I want a new social order, a society both politically and economically democratic, free of racism and sexism."

His political marriage with Cambridge Convention is mainly one of pragmatism. He feels that the proportional representation system of voting favors slates, and since CC'75 shares his primary concern--the retention of rent control--he is willing to be part of it.

Davin would also like to see an increase in public ownership of the utilities in the city--"a return to the 1930s concept of municipal socialism."

While Davin is "running to win" and gives himself a fair chance of being elected, he admits that there are "educational" aspects to his candidacy. "I want people to realize that socialists are not evil green monsters who eat children, but are normal concerned citizens working for change."

Francis H. Duehay *+

When the smoke cleared from last year's long ballot counting, Francis H. Duehay '55, had just managed to eke out a seat on the Cambridge City Council. The small margin--just a few more than 90 votes--came as a surprise to an incumbent and one-time leader in Cambridge School Committee voting.

This year Duehay has been campaigning actively, and it is something that the former dean of admissions for the Graduate School of Education isn't used to doing.

"I don't often get the headlines," Duehay said about his role as a city councilor. Because he is not outrageously right or left of the political spectrum, Duehay feels that the role he has played in building the liberal coalition has been minimized. But the Cambridge-bred Duehay has been a binding force in the liberals' quest for a good government city manager.

When flashed, Duehay's credentials lean heavily towards the liberal end of the council. A leader in the fight to maintain what he calls the "livability" of Cambridge neighborhoods (downzoning, anti-fast food, controlled development) Duehay has also been in the forefront of city fiscal management, playing a key role in keeping the Cambridge budget trim. And of all the councilors, Duehay has been the first and most active in making sure that Harvard doesn't receive more than its fair share of the city's benefits.

Lawrence W. Frisoli

More than any other, the question of public disclosure of the affairs of city councilors has been the symbolic, if not the central, focus of Lawrence W. Frisoli's campaign. For bundled up in that one concern, Frisoli has found an entire array of political issues, ranging from the way councilors act to the way they're elected. And he has earned himself some press in the process.

On September 31, Frisoli appeared at a council meeting with his proposal that all councilors be required to file detailed records of their personal finances, as well as civil and criminal dockets, with the city clerk. The council had been recently debating whether a similar requirement could be made on a city treasurer who had somehow run up more than $25,000 worth of gambling debts. Frisoli was angered that the council members could require disclosure of one of their subordinates, but not of themselves. The meeting adjourned without even considering Frisoli's plan.

At the next meeting of the council, Frisoli distributed leaflets taking the councilors to task for their inaction and charging that "criminal activities" might be uncovered if his plan were imposed. This time, Frisoli left before he could present his case. But since then, the issue of disclosure has become part of the common currency of the election.

Although only 25, Frisoli, son of former school Superintendent Frank J. Frisoli '35, has made a vigorous and visible showing in the campaign so far, leading some City Hall analysts to wonder whether he will be able to draw votes away from longtime incumbent Alfred E. Vellucci. His motto, "Restore Integrity in Cambridge Government," is, he claims, an appeal to the instincts of voters who feel that something is "seriously wrong with the city." How well he has read those instincts, though, is something that will emerge in the returns and not in the coining of slogans.

Saundra Graham * +

Like it or not, Saundra Graham is going to be elected city councilor again this year. So what if she favors strict rent control laws or that she has spent much time trying to arrange low interest loans to home-owners, or that she has voted for every downzoning petition proposed by Cambridge neighborhood groups. Graham will be re-elected because she is a populist in the old Mary "Raise-Less-Corn-More-Hell" Lease tradiiton. And Cambridge, with its Proportional Representation system, is a town that lends itself to electing populists if they have enough clout and identity with specific neighborhoods.

Graham is in many ways the most doctrinaire of the nine councilors, unwilling to compromise if she thinks that a proposal would run counter to her Riverside-Cambridgeport constituents' interests. Because the R.C. area is in Harvard's southern backyard, Graham has had more than an occasional bout with the University and she has often come out on top. Credit her with stopping both the Kennedys and Harvard from putting the Kennedy Museum across the river in Allston. And old-time Harvard people still shudder when they remember that it was Graham who took over the Commencement platform in 1970 to protest for more low-income housing.

Mary Ellen Preusser *

Mary Ellen Preusser said she believes that reform candidates have a "damned good chance" of capturing a 5-4 city council majority this year. Her prediction comes right from the heart; if Preusser is right, she could be the liberal newcomer on the council.

A 20-year resident of Cambridge, Preusser dates her serious involvement in local politics back to 1970, when she campaigned against the permanent appointment of acting school Superintendent Frank J. Frisoli '35. Her interest in school affairs led to an unsuccessful 1973 bid for the school committee, in which she finished tenth.

Since then, Preusser said, she has "spread out" her interests, and seen the root causes of problems plaguing Cambridge schools. Believing it "foolish" to work through middlemen, Preusser said, she decided to run for the council this year with the endorsement of the Cambridge Convention '75.

Many of Preusser's positions match the Cambridge Convention '75 platform. She supports child care, rent control, professional government over patronage, and comprehensive plans for attracting jobs and developing Kendall Square. She also insists that Cambridge could ease its property tax by exploiting state and federal funding.

Preusser, who said she is not a housewife "because I'm not married to a house," plans to make the council a full-time job if elected. While eyeing the fifth seat, Preusser also says it will not be "impossible" for a reform ticket to grab a sixth seat. "That," she added, "would be just gravy."

Leonard J. Russell +

After barely missing election to the council in three successive runnings, independent Leonard J. Russell finally broke the hex two years ago, finishing fifth in overall voting. Russell is an independent photographer and proud father of five children who prides himself on being "accessible and open to the people," and holds "office hours" every Thursday night throughout the year at his campaign headquarters.

The council campaign is quiet this year because "things have improved," Russell said, but added that much remains to be done. Russell isn't worried about liberals grabbing a fifth council seat. An independent who helped return city manager James L. Sullivan to Cambridge, Russell said, "Cambridge Convention '75 doesn't have a corner on good government."

Like both council factions, Russell is solidly behind development to ease the tax burden and blue-collar unemployment. He's just not as sensitive about the "how" as are the council's liberals. Russell, who supported locating the Kennedy Library in Cambridge, said a "new faith in city leadership" will start drawing developers to Kendall Square and other areas.

Russell is firmly opposed to the present rent control board and blames it for restricting new growth. He added, however, that some kind of review board is necessary to keep rents from being raised "to the point of hardship." Russell said he believes the universities "make Cambridge what it is," but he feels they should pay more taxes and be limited in their land acquisitions, particularly along the Charles.

Alice M. Savoy

Alice Savoy is making her second try for city council because she wants to show the incumbent councilors that she's upset.

Nobody held her ex-husband accountable for child support, and no one was supervising at the MDC pool when she was assaulted by a teenager. "Nobody really cares about us poor working people," she said.

She is distressed by what she calls "a lack of compassion on the part of the councilors" and "inadequate community involvement and suupervision" on the part of the police. "People in this city don't work together and they never have," Savoy said.

Savoy is not campaigning actively: "The incumbents will win; they have the best personal contacts; and there aren't really any issues," she said. "They'll just keep yessing the city manager to death and hoping the economy picks up."

Louis F. Solano

Louis F. Solano '24 decided to run for city council when his landlord upped his rent three times in six weeks.

"It was a case of salami tactics," claims the 71-year-old professor emeritus of Romance Languages: you take a little here, a little there, and soon, though nobody's noticed, you've got the sausage. Meaning, in this case, a hefty rent hike."

Though not opposed to landlords' making a "reasonable" profit, Solano holds that rent control should not only be continued but expanded where possible, and that four of the five members of the Cambridge Rent Board should be tenants. Such a program would have two-fold effect, he contends: taking apartments "off the markets, as if they were commodities," and ending what Solano calls "sheer greed" on the part of the landlords.

Solano insists that, given his views on rent control and the fact that he would lend first-hand expertise on the problems of the elderly in the city, he should have been endorsed by the Cambridge Convention. But this was not to be.

"First they said they hadn't considered me because I entered the race too late. Then, when they drew up the campaign literature, they left me out again," he says. Combined with his status as a relative unknown in city politics, CC '75's neglect, he said has made it "hard to get the message to people."

Left with no alternative but to bring his platform into the streets, Solano started a walking campaign in the heavily ethnic East Cambridge neighborhoods.

Still, Solano's late entry into the race and his loner position in a field of familiar names make it doubtful that he can pick up the support necessary to swing election. Like most other unendorsed candidates, his campaign probably has less of a chance than a snowball in the Central Kitchen.

George W. Spartichino

George W. Spartichino is one of those ethnic candidates that every Cambridge City Council election seems to attract. Even though he is running on a shoe-string budget--his bumper stickers are the left-overs of former Massachusetts Attorney General Robert Quinn's governors campaign that have been stripped clean and reprinted--Spartichino insists that the north Cambridge voters that kept him in the State Legislature from 1956 to 1966 can send him to the council.

Spartichino has made his opposition to Cambridge's Proportional Representation system of voting the focus of his campaign. He claims the system "robs the voters of Cambridge" and favors the liberal incumbents.

Criticism of the current City Council for the "high salary paid to City manager James Sullivan and Sullivan's assistants" is the other major issue in Spartichino's campaign.

Spartichino does not have--and did not seek--endorsements from any political groups in the city. He is counting on his past political experience, which also includes a stint as Massachusetts Assistant Attorney General from 1970 to 1974, to bring him votes in his home turf in North Cambridge. "I may get one vote from Brattle Street," Spartichino says, "but I won't count on it."

Edward J. Stewart

Edward J. Stewart's family has lived in East Cambridge for over 119 years. Two years ago these long ties almost paid off with a Cambridge City Council seat, as Stewart was the first runner-up in the elections. He said recently that he is going to win this time--"just look at The Cambridge Chronicle, they predicted it"--and he claims to have no particular area of support--"all over Cambridge they want me."

The only issue Stewart said he really "cares about" is taxes: "Taxes in Cambridge are way too high." Stewart said he would lower taxes by "watching out for every penny the city spends" and "by stopping the colleges like Harvard and MIT from engulfing all the taxable property in residential districts."

According to Stewart, the pace of development in Cambridge is no issue"--it's the colleges that are the problem." As for the other issues in the election, such as rent control and the city manager's salary, Stewart said only that he will "act according to the people."

But Stewart is one of the few candidates who can probably get away with waffling on the issues. As long as he keeps yelling about taxes and the universities, 119 years will go a long way.

Walter J. Sullivan +

Mayor Walter J. Sullivan is a fixture in Cambridge politics. He has been a participant in the council's regular Monday night meetings since 1959 and served one previous term as mayor in 1968-69. He has consistently been the top vote getter in the city council race and has followed in the political footsteps of his father and his brother, both former Cambridge mayors.

But to become mayor two years ago, the usually conservative former truck driver cast his vote in favor of a liberal city manager in exchange for the opposition's votes for him as mayor. With the bad taste of the incident remaining in the mouths of several Independents, it is unlikely that any election result will see Sullivan back in the mayor's chair when the council reconvenes.

Sullivan said he doesn't foresee any change in the Independent-liberal balance of the council. The elections are quiet because Cambridge Convention '75 isn't organized, Sullivan said. There are no major campaign issues, he added. "It's all personal."

The mayor is also against rent control, saying it only helps people attracted by the universities and discourages landlords from upgrading their apartments. He feels vacancy decontrol would restore incentives to landlords, while still protecting long-term residents, and, like several other Independents, wants only a rent review board that would protect against unfair rate increases.

Sullivan will almost definitely take a council seat in next week's election. But as his loss of last year's Middlesex Country sheriff race indicates, Sullivan's political fortunes are not as secure as they once were.

Joseph F. Tichanuk

With no political experience and a lack of funds, Joseph F. Tichanuk describes his campaign as "the run of the common man" for the city council. Born and raised in Cambridge, Tichanuk has been a motor equipment operator in the city water department for the past 25 years.

His political experience includes 18 years as union president of the water department employees and participation in state house lobbying efforts for rent control.

Tichanuk shares the concerns of Cambridge's liberal political groups even though he has not sought, nor received, their endorsements. He calls for an extension of rent control and said the current rent control board is "inadequate and slow to provide service."

In addition, he favors an increased control of development within Cambridge, adding that there is a problem with the University's grabbing land and getting free services."

Tichanuk's lack of political experience has been a hindrance to his campaign. Tichanuk himself concedes that he has little chance of getting elected and commented, "I guess my campaign is a little like fighting windmills."

Alfred Vellucci +

Alfred E. Vellucci is a consummate political chef--every two years he stirs the ethnic stew of East Cambridge and gets re-elected to the Cambridge City Council The secret, says Vellucci, is Harvard--the most obvious representative of untaxed wealth, power and privilege in Cambridge, and an easy target for Vellucci when he feels like being a populist demagogue--"I ask people on the street, do you hate Harvard? They say yes, so I say vote for me, I hate Harvard."

Vellucci says he isn't campaigning very hard, because "all the incumbents will win." The only issues in the campaign, according to Vellucci, are that David Rockefeller owns the Real Paper and Gulf Oil owns The Crimson. Other than that, Vellucci said, "we all voted to down-zone mid-Cambridge-we're all for down-zoning." Vellucci now agrees with most of the council that rent control should stay as it is. He had been supporting vacancy decontrol, a measure aimed at students and a transient population, but he said he now believes that "the economy is changing, the squeeze is on, we got to keep rent control like it is."

As for the current imbroglio between independent councilors Daniel Clinton and Thomas Danehy and city manager James L. Sullivan, Vellucci refuses to get involved--"Never get mixed up in an Irish fight," he said. "Man, there've been Irish wars!"

Vellucci will keep on roasting Harvard every chance he gets--and because he plays the role of populist demagogue well, he will be back on the Cambridge City Council next year, and for many years to come.

David A. Wylie * +

Amid the propaganda of ITT Tech and the limpid claims of innumerable steak and bres, a smiling face on a subway car poster beams somewhat cryptically, "If your city government fights for you, you don't have to fight back." David A. Wylie, a lawyer and candidate for his second term on the City Council, thinks of himself as a fighter.

The opponents Wylie takes on are not exactly what you would expect from a Boston Corporate lawyer with roots in Louisville, Ky., and University of Chicago. To protect Cambridge's "unique neighborhood flavor" from the kind of high-rise over-development that has turned Harvard St. into "apartment house row," Wylie takes on the real estate developers and investors.

Wylie has also struggled to keep rent control, opposing the landlords "to protect the elderly and low income renters." To prevent Cambridge residents from being swallowed by a "sea of signs," Wylie has taken on much of the business establishment.

Two years ago, when police brutality was a much hotter issue, Wylie delivered a blistering speech from the floor of the City Council chambers, condemning the excesses of the police department, "as half the force and their wives sat dumbstruck in the audience."

And when Harvard officialdom tried to encourage students not to register to vote in Cambridge, first, last spring, when a letter from general counsel Daniel Steiner '54 warned that doing so would subject the newly enfranchised to a multitude of tax liabilities, and then, this fall, when an OCS-OCL newsletter warned pre-meds that it could hurt their chances of getting into home-state med schools, Wylie took on the University.

The voter registration issue was an especially sensitive one for Wylie. He estimates that nearly half of his support comes from the new, younger, voters--again, not what you would expect for a middle-aged corporate lawyer.

The profiles of the candidates were written by: Thomas S. Blanton, David N. Carvalho, Stephen J. Chapman, James J. Cramer, Henry Griggs, David B. Hilder, Thomas W. Janes, Daniel E. Larkin and Charles E. Shepherd.

Two candidates, Alan Harrington and William C. Jones, were unavailable for interviews at presstime.