Little Calls for Support of Prisoners

Speaks to More Than 600

By Robert Lunbeck

Joann Little, the celebrated North Carolinan acquitted this summer of first-degree murder, brought an appeal for support for embattled prisoners to Boston last night.

Little addressed an audience of over 600 at Northeastern University last night after two other former prisoners, Akil, a member of the Attica Now Collective, and Sekou Lumpen, a member of the Atmore-Holman Defense Fund. The event was sponsored by the National Lawyers Guild.

Akil said the issue of selective enforcement of the law will not end until the nation's penal system is brought to "people's justice."

Lumpen told the audience about alleged atrocities and murder attempts by prisoners to gain greater power at the Atmore Prison Farm in Alabama.

Little, in her first speaking appearance in Boston, delivered a harsh attack on the judicial system in her rambling, informal remarks, which were interrupted with frequent applause.

"The system is not set up for you," she said, "but if you can write a check and not have it bounce, you can control it-the judge, the jury, the courthouse."

Little said the only force for change in prisons is "what you want to do about it. People in prison, in general, are forgotten," she said.

One reason she thought she was acquitted was the widespread support for her legal defense. "They said it was impossible" Little said, "but if it was impossible I wouldn't be standing here tonight."

Little, who faces trial in North Carolina Superior Court next month for breaking and entering, ended her remarks by saying she felt "the beat of the people." She began to tap on the podium, and the crowd started to clap along in rhythm. She and a friend then led the audience in "I Woke Up This Morning With a Mind Set on Freedom."