J.V. Booters Whip Bridgewater With Barrage of Seven Goals

By John Donley

Harvard's rejuvenated J.V. soccer team pounded the Bridgewater St. varsity 7-0 yesterday on the Business School field behind two-goal performances by Bob Grant and Gus Sagastume.

Grant opened the scoring five minutes into the game on a pass from Bob Carey. For the next 25 minutes, Crimson midfielders Aris Yannopolous, Brian O'Connor and Victor Felszegi kept the ball moving toward the Bridgewater net, but the squad couldn't convert any of its scoring opportunities.

Rick Schlosky ended the drought at 15:40 of the first half with a tally from close range. Ninety seconds later, winger Jim Wolf drilled Mark Brody's rebounded shot into the net and the romp had begun.

Coach Seamus Malin expressed pleasure with his team's coordinated effort, nothing that "once we clicked on our second goal, it was just a matter of how many we would score."

"How many" turned out to be four more in the second half. George DeMartino converted Yannopolous' rebounded shot into a score at 38:47, Grant tallied on an assist from Sagastume at 27:40 and Sagastume added a goal at 24:00 on a pass from Wolf.

Sagastume put the icing on the cake with ten minutes left when he stole the ball from a Bridgewater fullback, faked left on the goalie and lofted a shot into the right-hand corner of the net.

Crimson goalkeepers Steve Potts and Michael Spiritos went virtually untested in posting the shutout, as Bridgewater amassed a total of only five shots on goal. Defensemen Boyce Greer, Bob Hargadon and Dave Mattais stopped most of Bridgewater's offensive thrust at midfield.

"Everybody played well," said Malin, without citing any individual standouts in the game.

"We played our game," he added, warning that in contests against weak teams "you can really degenerate if you don't play like a team."

On Track

Malin was also pleased that "everybody who was there got to play a lot." Last year, the athletic department dropped the eight-year-old JV soccer program for economic reasons, but this year the program is "on track as far as I'm concerned," according to Malin.

The victory raised the squad's record to 2-0 for the season. The booters will try to take their third straight game Tuesday against the Amherst J.V.s.