The Corporate Search

In Progress

The search for a new member of the Harvard Corporation to replace retiring fellow Albert L. Nickerson '33 appears to have narrowed down to three final candidates.

The three finalists, all supposedly businessmen from New York, will be discussed at the Corporation meeting on Monday and the final choice will almost surely be made before the Overseers meet later this month.

It appears, however, that only one of the three candidates would even accept the position anyway--so the actual "selection" may have, in effect, already been made. According to sources close to the Corporation subcommittee that has reviewed about 350 names in its search, one of the finalists turned down an offer to be a Harvard Fellow several years ago.

The one candidate who the subcommittee expects would jump at the chance to serve on the Corporation has, according to sources, served Harvard as an overseer and in several fund-raising capacities since graduating from the College.

One present overseer appears to fit this description to the letter: Walter N. Rothschild Jr. '42. Rothschild, elected an overseer last year, has also served as chairman of the Harvard College Fund and in a number of alumni positions. Rothschild also reportedly has "had his sights" on being a Harvard Fellow for a number of years.

Apparently the Corporation has decided not to seek its first woman member this time around.