Ivy League Soccer Summary

While Harvard's soccer team was downing Princeton Saturday, Cornell and Yale pulled off a pair of surprising wins.

Cornell guaranteed itself at least a tie for the Ivy League soccer championship, defeating Brown 2-1 in a showdown game at Ithaca. Yale upset Penn 2-0 at New Haven, and Dartmouth- whipped Columbia, 4-2, at New York.

The Big Red, now 5-0 in the league and 10-1 overall, had to come from behind to dump the pre-season favorite and defending champion Bruins to 3-2 in the Ivies and 5-2-2 overall.

Brown's Steve Ralbovsky opened the scoring with a goal on a corner kick at 41:54 of the first half. Cornell rebounded to knot the score on Dave Emerson's head shot with one second left in the half.

Rice Scores

Big Red freshman Jim Rice scored the game-winner at 28:29 of the second half on a cross from Dave Sarachan.

Yale's victory mathematically eliminated Penn from the championship race. The Quakers now stand 2-3 in the league and 8-3 overall, while the Elis raised their Ivy record to 2-3 and their overall record to 3-7-1.

Dartmouth kept its title hopes alive with its triumph over Columbia. The Big Green sport a 3-2 Ivy and a 4-6 overall record. The Lions are now 1-4 in league competition and 3-8 overall.

'Must' Game

While Harvard takes on Brown at Providence, R.I., next weekend, Dartmouth will try to upset Cornell in a "must" game at Hanover, N.H. Cornell needs only a tie in one of its final two games to win the Ivy League championship.

In other contests next Saturday, Penn will journey to Columbia and Princeton will face Yale at home.