'Cliffe Stickers Tie Yale, 2-2; Gwill York Score Knots Contest

The scoreboard read 2-2, but for the Radcliffe field hockey squad, Saturday's deadlock with potent Yale was the biggest 'triumph' of its rebuilding campaign. For in struggling from behind to earn the tie, the cohesive Cliffe stickers proved that they had come full circle in their development.

There is always something charismatic about the Ivy field hockey version of 'The Game.' Last year, Radcliffe salvaged a dismal season by knotting the Bulldogs in Cambridge, 1-1.

As they entered this year's affair, the Yale unit bubbled with the confidence of an 8-2-1 mark. But Harvard came in off a sterling 4-0 whitewashing of BU, a game in which the 'Cliffe found the range on their short game.

Yale wasted no time in jumping off to a quick 1-0 lead, Eli stalwart Anne Keating bested goalie Carlene Rhodes. But the Crimson co-captain turned in the sparkling netmimding that has become her trademark. styming 19 Yale shots in her final appearance in a Crimson skirt.

Another senior, Maude Wood, tied matters up 20 minutes into the half. Wood let fly a blast that dented the pads of goalie Jody Hitchcock, but the momentum of the shot carried the ball into the twines for the notting goal.

Freshwoman Gwill York garnered the tie for the 29-2 'Cliffe, the left-inside's goal coming five minutes after counterpart Jeanne Bennefield had put Yale back on top.