FAIR HARVARD?

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Twenty-nine years ago you hired a young man of considerable merit and promise. He was to coach three sports: basketball, lacrosse and soccer. For fifteen years this man taught these three; thereafter, he concentrated on soccer and lacrosse. Through all of these years he instilled in his boys not only the delights of competition but also the importance of incorporating into every phase of life the principles of honesty, decency and loyalty, principles by which this man always has lived. An All-American soccer player himself, this coach brought you several championship teams, rewarding you not only with these great teams but also with the reputation of having one of the finest soccer coaches in the country.

How, Fair Harvard, have you repayed a lifetime devoted to guiding and instructing your "sons," to acquiring for you so many accolades and awards? How has this talented man benefitted from a lifetime of loyalty to you?

With five years remaining until his retirement, you fired him.

As a reward for 29 years of devotion and meritorious service, you have deprived him of his self assurance and self respect. You have left him a disbelieving, degraded and embittered man.

Why, Fair Harvard?

What has happened to a once-great institution presumably dedicated to the physical, intellectual and moral development of young men and women that it can so shabbily treat a man who has given it a major portion of his life? Is this the retribution our sons and daughters must now envision for long years of service: forced retirement, annuity reduced by 50%, discrimination because of age and wage?

Does this express your definition of loyalty, decency and integrity, "Fair" Harvard? Nancy Munro   Radcliffe '56   Sister of Harvard '57   Mother of Harvard '76   Daughter of Harvard Professor,   Department of Geophysics--30 yrs.   most of all,   Wife, Harvard Coach--29 years