'Cliffe Field Hockey Falls to Brown in 1-0 Battle

By Ann M. Koufman

The Radcliffe field hockey team lost again yesterday--So what else is new?

Despite all its efforts the varsity bowed for the eighth time, to Brown in a 1-0 battle.

"It was definitely a good close match," Captain Diana Finch said last night, "We were discouraged that we did not win because we had control of the ball for most of the game and we had several chances."

"It was amazing, we should have won," frustrated Coach Debi Fields said last night.

The 'Cliffe took nine shots on goal while the Bruins needed only seven to notch the victory.

Possession

While maintaining possession of the ball for the first half, the 'Cliffe fired six fruitless times on goal.

Yet with ten minutes into the second half, Sheryl Detrick of Brown scored, and Radcliffe's momentum broke down. Brown succeeded from there on in to dominate play, although as far as the score was concerned, the game was over.

If it had not been for the superb performance of Radcliffe goalie Carlene Rhodes--the Bruins peppered the net over the second half--the final score may have been far more lopsided.

"The determination we had going for us before the goal was scored was dampened and we just let down," Field said. "It's all psychological--and if we're aiming to win we can't let that happen."

"Before the goal we made several 'book-plays,"' she said, "The ball was deep on defense and through a great succession of passes we brought it up, but just did not manage to score."

Despite the losing score, Field said, the game was a fine one until the Brown tally. "It was one of the best halves I've seen them play," she said.