Election Roundup

Other Mayoral Races Prompt Little Excitement

IN PHILADELPHIA: There were no surprises as Mayor Frank Rizzo rolled to an easy victory, toppling two opponents in his reelection path.

Rizzo, who rose from the ranks of the Philadelphia police force become police commissioner and then mayor, said before the election that he won the race the day he declared his candidacy.

The controversial mayor, famous for his "tank on every street corner" policy of dealing with inner city rioters, promised last week he will continue to reduce crime in the city of brotherly love.

IN CLEVELAND: Incumbent Mayor Ralph Perk, a white Republican running against Arnold Pinkney, a black Democrat, won a third term with the help of a large turnout from the city's predominantly white West Side.

In his concession speech, school superintendent Pinkney said this loss--his second in a race against Perk--will not stop his efforts to show that "black folks will someday be somebody."

During the campaign, Pinkney charged Perk with not doing enough to stop crime in the city, while the mayor responded that he stood by his record and had balanced the city's budget.

The vote total at midnight was Perk 97,892 and Pinkney 81,028.

IN BALTIMORE: Mayor William D. Schaefer was easily reelected to a second term last night, defeating Claudette Chandler by a nearly six-to-one vote margin.

Republican Chandler, the first black woman to run for mayor in Baltimore, which is 51 per cent black, was not considered a serious challenge to Schaefer.

MINNEAPOLIS: Independent Charles Stenvig last night upset Democratic Mayor Albert Hofstede by a narrow 507-vote margin.

With 219 precincts reporting, Stenvig had 45,065 votes and Hofstede 44,558.

Stenvig, who was mayor from 1969 until he lost to Hofstede in 1971, based his barely successful campaign on opposition to crime, increased property taxes and Hofstede's recent 28-per-cent increase in his own salary, to $29,000 a year.

IN MIAMI: In a city with one of the country's greatest concentration of the elderly, a social worker who gave up his youth counseling job to run for mayor got very few votes in yesterday's election.

With 87 precincts reporting, incumbent Mayor Maurice Ferre polled 22,470 votes to challenger Peter N. Williams's 4037

IN INDIANAPOLIS: Former Republican Congressman William Hudnut handily defeated Democratic businessman Robert Welch.

Hudnut, who ran on a law-and-order platform was a member of the House Ways and Means Committee while in Congress.

His opponent, who trailed by 16,000 votes at press-time, is a vice president of the city's largest bank, the American Fletcher Bank.