CHUL to Allow Public, Press Into Meetings

By James Cramer

For the first time in its six year history, the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life will open to the public and the press, the CHUL decided yesterday.

The CHUL voted quickly and by a large majority to admit observers, but banned them from participating in discussions.

Loss of Confidentiality

CHUL members proposed similar legislation two years ago, but House masters on the CHUL, fearing that such a loss of confidentiality would inhibit discussion, massed to kill the bill.

At yesterday's meeting, however, masters showed little opposition to the proposal.

Dean Whitlock explained last night that the change of heart may be related to a change in issues that the CHUL has discussed over the years.

Major Impact

"It is now necessary to make the meetings public in light of the decisions about housing," Whitlock said.

In the past the CHUL discussed minor changes in the House system, Whitlock said, but it must now confront housing issues which have a major educational and financial impact.

"Since these are major issues we want them to be discussed as widely as possible," Whitlock said.

Whitlock said he believes that the decision will "inevitably change the climate of discussion. When a meeting goes public people are not apt to speak up. There will be more prepared speeches and more work done in committee."

William Bossert, acting master of Lowell House, said he does not think the decision "will make that much difference. I'm happy we're voting on things instead of sitting around and chatting," he said.

Katherine Fulton '78, a CHUL representative and the chief proponent of the new legislation, said last night that under the new ruling the executive committee of CHUL may still close the meetings.

A majority of CHUL, however, may overrule the executive committee's decision, she said.