Some Libraries to Stay Open During the Christmas Vacation

By Mark D. Stegall

All of the Harvard libraries will close for part of the three-week recess of the College, but Widener, Houghton, Fine Arts and Littauer Libraries will be open ten of the 21 days.

Lucy M. Manzi, acting librarian of Hilles and Lamont Libraries, said yesterday that Lamont Library will be closed from December 19 to January 11 for renovations and that the Hilles and Science Center Libraries will be open January 7,8, and 9 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., resuming regular hours January 11.

Weird Hours

The Widener, Houghton, Fine Arts, and Littauer Libraries will close December 20 and re-open December 29 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until New Year's Eve. They will also be closed January 10 and 11, then resume regular hours on Sunday, January 12.

The Baker Library at the Business School and Langdell Hall at the Law School will close from December 24 until January 5. The Medical School's Countway Library will take December 25 and 26 and New Year's Day as holidays.

Louis E. Martin, librarian of Harvard College, said yesterday, "Faculty members who have research projects in progress will be able to make arrangements to use the Widener Library when it is closed to the public, but nothing can be done for students who need to use the libraries during the Christmas recess."