All-Ivy Soccer Squad Chosen; Coaches Shun Harvard Players

By Theodore A. Christopher

Though the Harvard soccer team finished in a tie for second place this season, Ivy League coaches did not name one Harvard player to either the first or second 1975 All-Ivy Soccer Team.

Harvard coach George Ford nominated five of his players, including top-scoring forward Dave Acorn and last year's All Ivy inside Lyman Bullard. But Acorn and Bullard, fullback Ralph Booth and goalie Fred Harold, received only "honorable mentions" from the Ivy coaches.

Dave Acorn, the second leading scorer in the league this year, said he was "mildly shocked" by the outcome of the voting. "I thought I had applied myself well enough during the season," said Acorn yesterday. "I wasn't really that far from the top of the scoring (two points), and I thought that would stand out," he added.

Apparently, the coaches also overlooked the outstanding play of Harvard fullback Kevin Jiggetts. "Kevin really got burned," said Acorn. "He turned in at least six outstanding performances and didn't even get honorable mention."

Brown and Cornell dominated the All-Ivy first team. Brown's Fred Pereira, the league's leading scorer, and Steven Ralbovsky were unanimous selections. They were joined by teammates Marc Griffith and fullback Tom Walsh.

Cornell fullbacks Paul Beuttenmuller and Dave Emmerson, goalie Dan Mackesey, and forward Joe Mui placed on the team. Dartmouth's Steve Papai (fullback) and Bruce Bokor (forward) rounded out the first team selections.