'Cliffe Squash Team Takes First Match With 6-1 Trouncing

By Marc M. Sadowsky

The Radcliffe squash team opened up its season by blitzing Bowdoin 6-1 on Saturday at Bowdoin. The only Radcliffe defeat came at the number one position where Suzie Handy dropped her match 3-2.

Radcliffe made a strong showing in the other positions, giving up only two games in the other six matches.

"We have some good squash players this year," Eric Cutler '40, coach of the Radcliffe squash team said yesterday. "They know what they should do and now their nervousness of the first match is over," Cutler added.

Number two player Julia Moore, who was on leave last season, led the team over Bowdoin by defeating her opponent, 3-1. The players in the third, fourth and fifth positions, Sally Blair, Emmi Levin, and Suzana deSola, all won without giving up a single game to their Bowdoin counterparts.

Stinging Defeat

DeSola engineered the most stinging defeat, taking three straight games, 15-6, 15-6, 15-7. "I was in top form, cool, calm, and collected," deSola said yesterday.

At the sixth and seventh position, Jane Hadsel won her match 3-1 and Elizabeth Schaefer shut out her foe, 3-0.

Suzie Handy, captain and number-one player on the team, suffered the only loss. She was ahead of her opponent, Bowdoin's Laura Larenz, 2-0 before losing. "It was a good lesson. I probably got what I deserved," Handy said last night. "I was overconfident. I stopped concentrating and she caught up," Handy added.

The team is confident about the coming season, mainly because of the amount of experience. "We're a much tighter team than last year, and there's a lot more depth," Emmi Levin said yesterday.

"I think we're going to do really well because the top seven players have been playing for at least two years," Suzana deSola explained yesterday.