Kirkland, North House Panels Vote to Continue CRR Boycott

By David B. Hilder

House committees in Kirkland and North Houses voted last night to continue their boycott of the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities (CRR).

Both House committees voted to send representatives to a meeting tomorrow night sponsored by the Dunster House committee to draft proposals to reform the CRR's structure and procedures.

Last week, Dunster, Mather, and Quincy Houses also decided not to nominate student representatives to the CRR.

The Faculty established the CRR after the 1969 student occupation of University Hall as a student-Faculty body to discipline students involved in political protests.

However, student representatives resigned from the committee in 1970, beginning the five-year boycott.

In 1971, the Faculty changed the CRR's composition, making student members a minority on the committee, and revised the CRR's charter, eliminating procedures that protected students' rights. Since then, Houses have refused to nominate students to serve on the CRR.

Unanimity

The vote in the North House committee was unanimous, Daniel J.H. Greenwood '78, a member of the committee, said last night. "We did not want to give the CRR the kind of legitimacy it would have if students served on it," he said.

J. Alan Cox, chairman of the Kirkland House committee, said last night an "overwhelming majority" of his committee supported the boycott.

Dean Whitlock said last night he was "not surprised" that the five Houses had decided to continue their boycott of the CRR. He said that in previous years students knew more about the CRR and the reasons for the boycott and continued the boycott automatically, but that this year there has been more "conscious consideration" of the boycott.

After voting last week to boycott the CRR, the Dunster House committee asked each House committee to send two representatives to a meeting to draft "positive proposals" to change the CRR's composition and procedures.

Proposals drafted by that meeting would probably be sent to the committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL). Whitlock said last night.