'Cliffe Cagers Deep Freezed, Suffer Triple Loss In Ivy Bid

By Amy Sacks

The Radcliffe hoopsters were about as cold as the weather in Ithaca last weekend, losing their only three chances at the second annual Ivy League Tournament.

Even Fortuna was frozen. First the cagers had to face Princeton who went on to win the tournament for the second straight year.

Radcliffe was dwarfed and outmuscled by a Princeton team that graciously offered their second string in the second half. The Radcliffe hoopsters dominated that half, but alas it was too late. The Tigers triumphed, 65-30.

In their second game of the day against Penn, the hoopsters suffered another bad bounce. Cold shooting plagued Radcliffe for another icy performance and a 49-36 loss.

Frostbite

Three of the starting five were injured in that debacle, frozen to the bench for Radcliffe's last valiant effort against Yale Sunday. Sue Williams aggravated a rib injury in a collision with a Quaker that will put the Cliffe's star shooter out of action for the next three weeks.

Despite the loss of two other players, the cagers managed a 14-point lead over Yale in the second half. But again their hopes melted, this time by the Elis, who came back with a 59-51 win.

Coach Mark Haveland, who took the squad's helm just three weeks ago, described the weekend as "a big learning experience for both the team and the coach."

Captain Lissa Muscatine also remained optimistic. "I don't think that this is an indication of how the season will go," she said last night. "We haven't had a chance for things to gel, but when they do, we should do a lot better."

Tonight the team travels to Tufts where it hopes to have its first day in the sun. And although the prediction is more cold weather for Boston, Radcliffe and Fortuna should prove well-warmed for the Medford match.