Icemen Win With 5-Goal Deluges

Freshman Roundup

By Daniel Gil

The yardling hockey team has skated to a convincing 2-0 record, with a come-from-behind 7-4 victory over Northeastern and a 7-5 battle against the Bowdoin J.V. Five goal outbursts were decisive for Harvard in both games.

Against Northeastern, the Crimson trailed 3-1 after one period but it scored five times while blanking the Huskies in the second period.

Several players fattened their scoring statistics in the game: centers Doug Thompson, Al White and Steve Andrews, and winger Mike Clasby notched two goals apiece and left wing David MacKinnon added the other.

The offense-minded defense also got in on the act, setting up many of the goals with nifty passing. Franco Scalamandre and Michael Steward each had three assists while John Cochran had two. With the defenders up front, goaltender John Phillips was called upon to make 34 saves.

The team traveled to Bowdoin to play their J.V. on December 5th. Again, Harvard started slowly in a hard-hitting, scoreless first period, and each team scored twice in the second stanza.

The Crimson broke the game wide open in the third period with its customary five-goal spree. Bowdoin only managed three goals, and two were in the last two minutes, after the outcome was certain.

The forward line of MacKinnan, Thompson and David Schuster, put together by Coach Tim Taylor '63 for the game, led the team with five goals. John Conant turned aside 32 shots in net for the Crimson.

Tomorrow, the team takes on its cross-river rival Boston University in an away game beginning at 3 p.m.

The freshman squash squad is also off to a good start, easily defeating Andover 7-0. Coach H. Corey Wynn '40 feels that this year's team is "potentially one of my stronger teams." Seven or eight players have had squash experience before this year.

In the Andover match, most of the players won their matches in three straight games; however, number one player Bob Blake needed four games to defeat his opponent. The team plays this afternoon at Amherst.

J.V. squash is playing well after an opening game loss to the Bowdoin varsity. In the last two matches they have soundly beaten the Colby varsity 9-0 and Andover, 6-1. Coach John Barnaby notes that most of his team's opponents are varsity clubs, but "it makes for a good tough contest, which is what we want."

In other freshman action, the basketball team split two cliff-hangers, downing Leicester Junior College 82-76 and losing to Boston College 74-70. According to Coach Buddy O'Neil, both games "could have gone either way."

Bob Hooft has led the team, dropping in 40 points against Leicester and 19 in the B.C. game.