Hoopsters Drop a Squeaker to Brown

Late Rally Fizzles, 77-76

By Michael K. Savit

Thirty-nine minutes and 56 seconds of tremendously exciting basketball had been reduced to one final, dramatic free throw. As Harvard's Lou Silver stepped to the foul line with just four seconds showing on the clock, he would determine the outcome of a basketball game that both sides deserved to win.

Silver's shot bounced off the back of the rim, and as a result, Brown was able to escape with a 77-76 victory over an in-spired Harvard team.

The Crimson played what was perhaps its best basketball all season, but occasional Harvard defensive lapses in the second half allowed the Bruins to storm back from a 42-39 halftime deficit and inflict on the Crimson a loss that will hurt for some time to come.

The Crimson came out flying in the first half, with Mike Griffin directing the offense. Silver and Bill Carey hit 12 of 14 shots between them and Harvard assumed an early eight-point advantage.

Brown gradually cut the lead towards intermission, with Eddie Morris and Brian Saunders doing most of the damage, but the Crimson's incredible shooting, over 65 per cent from the field, allowed it to maintain its lead at the half.

After the break, however, Harvard cooled down, but worse, the Crimson forgot how to play defense. Bruin forwards consistently found themselves free under the boards for easy lay-ups, and only the miraculous shooting of Griffin and Arnie Needleman kept Harvard alive.

Brown's lead fluctuated between four and six points throughout the half, and with 56 seconds remaining in the game, the score stood Brown 77, Harvard 71.

Towels and History

Against any other team, this would be cause to throw in the towel, but Brown has had a history of giving away close games in the past. This winter alone, the Bruins had lost six games by five points or less, including one ridiculous contest where they blew a six-point advantage to Memphis State in the last minute.

Mike Griffin then hit on a long jumper, and stole a foolish Brown pass under his own basket. After bringing the ball up-court, he spotted Carey free to the left of the foul circle, Swish. Brown 77, Harvard 75, Thirty-five seconds remained.

Then the improbably happened. After a Brown time-out, a shoving match ensued while the Bruins were attempting to put the ball in play between the Crimson's Jonas Honick and Brown's Glenn Scotland.

Technicals

The refs called a technical on each side, but it was no longer Brown's possession. Griffin made the foul shot for Harvard, but Brown's Vaughn Clarke missed. Brown 77, Harvard 76.

After a jump ball, which Doc Hines controlled for the Crimson, Harvard set up for a final shot, which Griffin missed. Meanwhile, Silver was fouled underneath.

If he made the first shot, he would get another, but if he missed...Brows 77, Harvard 76.