Crimson Fencers Destroy Brown, 15-12

Meet Cornell Today

Harvard's fencing team paved the way for a tough weekend schedule with three Ivy teams as a mixed varsity-junior varsity squad overcame a scrappy Brown team 15-12 at the IAB last night.

Captain Gordon Rutledge said after the match. "This was a lighthearted warmup before our next three meets which will put us into the heart of the season. The team looked proficient. However, we lost four in the sabre (5-4) because of a lack of concentration."

All-American

In the sabre, all-American Rutledge took both of his bouts. Despite the absence of the other all-American Phillippe Bennett, who is undefeated for the season, the team picked up three more bouts in the weapon from Larry Tu's 2-1 tally and John Major's 1-1 split.

In the foil the Crimson were the undisputed rulers as Nick Tepe. Larry White and freshman Eric Mandelbaum each won two bouts. White made a spectacular comeback in his first bout, rebounding from 4-1, a three touch deficit, to grab a 5-4 victory.

Also at foil, freshman John Chipman picked up a bout as he split 1-1 for the meet.

In the epee, the Crimson had a tough time, taking only three of the nine bouts.

John Herschfield missed both of his bouts as he went down 0-2 for the night. Matt Simmons picked up one as did Sam Anderson and John Barber, who fenced well in his only bout in the match.

The team score was 14-9 when the Harvard victory was captured.

The Crimson fencers face a strong threat today as they meet Cornell in the IAB at 4:00. Last year Cornell inched out the fencers 14-13 in Ithaca. Rutledge described today's match as a "revenge match against formidable competition."

The Crimson will meet Penn on Friday and finish off the all-Ivy weekend with a Saturday night Columbia match in New York.

Recommended Articles

M. Fencing Beats Tufts; Both Drop to Lions
Hosting both Columbia and Tufts on Saturday, the Harvard fencing teams both fell to Ivy foe Columbia, while the men
Crimson Trounces Engineers, 18-9; Strength in Early Rounds Keys Win
It may not have been the most exhilarating experience of the year, but for those Harvard fans who savor each
Big Red Foils Fencers Again, 14-13; Crimson Blows Lead and Title Hopes
Cornell fencing captain Ken Torino nipped Harvard's John Hirschfeld in the last bout of the third and final round of
Varsity Fencers Cream Brandeis
Harvard fencers won the first 22 bouts in yesterday's match with Brandeis. After Brandeis took the 23rd bout, the Crimson
Crimson Fencers Subdue Trinity Squad, 22-5
Whoever gave the Trinity athletic teams the nickname "Bantams" must have had the talents of the fencing team in mind.
Lions Rip Fencers, 18-9; Crimson Is Weak at Foil
In an emotional match. Columbia humbled the varsity fencers, 18-9. Saturday, as the third men for the Crimson failed to