Student Groups Seek Donations For Kenneth Edelin's Defense

By Anne D. Neal

Several-student groups last night began soliciting funds in the Houses to defray the legal expenses incurred by Dr. Kenneth C. Edelin in his recent manslaughter trial.

A coalition of students including representatives from five organizations will man tables in the dining halls again today and Monday in coordination with the Kenneth Edelin Defense Fund.

Those groups include Harvard-Radcliffe Afro Association. Radcliffe Union of Students, the Women's Law Association of Harvard Law School, Harvard Black Law Students and Black Science Students.

Founded in 1974 shortly after Edelin's indictment, the Boston-based fund is soliciting donations from individuals and organizations throughout Massachusetts in support of Edelin. All monies forwarded to the defense fund will be used to offset expenditures in connection with the trial and upcoming appeals procedures.

Edelin was sentenced to one year's probation on February 18, after his conviction for manslaughter in connection with the death of a fetus he aborted in 1973.

Students last night collected over $90 in Winthrop; Currier, and Lowell Houses in addition to distributing leaflets and return envelopes for contributions.

Lillie M. Price '76, coordinator for H.R. Afro said last night that the student groups "would ideally like to send $2000 to the defense fund."

Benefit Party

Afro will sponsor a benefit party this weekend in Quincy House in order to raise additional funds.

RUS will also offer Radcliffe students today and Monday a ballot on which they may register approval or rejection of a proposed allocation of RUS funds to the Edelin Defense Fund.