'Cliffe Skiers Place Second at Tenney

Strong BU Team Surprises the Field

By Audrey H. Ingber

The Radcliffe ski team raced to a solid second place finish in its first meet of the season at Tenney Mountain last weekend, despite stiff competition from the other six schools of the Women's Intercollegiate Ski Conference.

In both the slalom event on Saturday and the giant slalom on Sunday only Boston University's team finished ahead of the 'Cliffe skiers.

Two Days Training

The women prepared for the weekend meet by training Thursday and Friday. In Saturday's race captain Katy Moss finished first for the team and fifth overall, while Debbie McLane came in behind her teammate, capturing seventh place. On Sunday the two reversed their team standings, as McLane took third overall and Moss finished seventh.

The 'Cliffe skiers have races scheduled every Saturday and Sunday for the next five weekends, McLane, last year's captain, graduated in January, and concluded her collegiate racing career this past weekend, and only veterans Moss and Nicole Bourgois remain as experienced members of the team.

Inexperienced Teammates

The other eight members have had no previous racing experience, but showed promise over the weekend, as sophomore Karen Linslay and freshmen Carol petsonk, Carlyle Singer and Eberie Ewing demonstrated potential for building a strong team in the future.

The 'Cliffe skiers go to Mt. Tom nest weekend, where they will fast the same six teams case again and here the oppurtunity to improve their standings.

Regins Christman from Tufts took first place in both the slalom and giant slalom events. Her squad reportedly has tow more good racers who missed the last meet because they were sick.

In the future, Radcliffe will have a tougher time as the skiers face a stronger Tufts team without Debbie McLane, Radcliffe coach Barbie Grant said her team "is a strong second, but if Tufts gets two more hot racers, Radcliffe will be a strong third."