THE SELLING OF THE PRESIDENT

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

You are to be commended for your enterprise and independence in publishing the memoranda on Harvard University's relations with its internal media and some other public ones, internal media and some other public ones, in your issue of January 6thone memorandum from Robin Schmidt, assistant vice-president for public affairs to Charles U. Daly, vice president for government and community affairs, and the other from Mr. Daly to President Derek Bok of Harvard University.

I disagree with Mr. Daly's comment in your story: "If this raw material is the best The Crimson can beg, borrow or steal, I feel sorry for its readers." To the contrary, my considered judgment is that The Crimson is fulfilling a basic tenet of American journalism in publishing news without fear or favor and opening a public matter to public scrutiny, discussion and hopefully constructive action in the best tradition of newspapers.

For over 50 years. I have counseled educational and non-educational organizations on their internal and external human relations. I believe comment is in order, in the public interest, on the strategy and tactics recommended to improve Harvard University's internal and external relations, as disclosed by the Schmidt and Daly memoranda.

Certainly the problem Harvard University and the three gentlemen named in the story face is not unique to this university. Every large organization, in which human beings are engaged, faces comparable problems In this case. It is bringing about adjustment, to the highest level possible between an academically oriented faculty and an administrative body of individuals, concerned with maintaining and advancing the corporate viability of the institution.

But the recommendations to bring about such adjustment revealed in the memoranda appear to this observer for the most part, amateurah native attempted solutions on the surface rather than in depth. Here is another approach to the problem.

1. The President's office might define for its guidance the goals possible of attainment, for adjustment between faculty and administration.

2. The President's office might then by careful research and factfinding through discussion with the faculty as a body and with its leaders and other members ascertain just what the areas of adjustment and maladjustment are, as of now. The feedback from such open factfinding is basic to sound procedure.

3. The goals should now be reoriented to the realities of the situation, as disclosed by the study. If necessary, goals may be redefined in terms of immediate, intermediate and longtime. If there are just grievances, action should be taken to eliminate them. If they are unjust, the true facts should be presented to those suffering from ignorance or prejudice.

Actions are at the basis of sound adjustment.

To meet a situation of maladjustment at Harvard University by the recommendation that the President of the University send short notes to faculty members who have received distinction, for the president to sit at the long faculty table at the Faculty Club from time to time, to drop in on faculty ocassions and to "show the flag," to call the faculty members on the telephone at random is not problem solving. This kind of image making has long since been discarded by sound professional practitioners in human relations.

An appearance of President Bok on Lawrence Spivak's Meet the Press TV program will solve no problems. It will be seen by millions and may well exacerbate the situation. One pertinent question asked by an investigative newsman, who has done his homework, answered honestly by the President, may further expose existing maladjustments between university and faculty, to the millions watching and listening.

First set your house in order. Then court the press and the other media and their publics.

Every situation that demands adjustment should be dealt with by finding out what the problem is and then solving or resolving it rather than by so called image making. Edward L. Bernays