Harvard May Still Build On Site of JFK Library

By James Cramer and Nicole Seligman

The University may still be able to build a planned academic complex on the MBTA yards site even if the Kennedy Library Corporation chooses not to build the Kennedy Library there.

Robert T. Griffin, special General Services Administration administrator, said yesterday the Federal government has a "moral obligation" to return in the state of Massachusetts the 10 acres had set aside for the library.

But he said the University could still buy the Kennedy Corporation's 2.2 acres of land for its use.

The University's academic complex would house the Government and Economics Departments, the Littauer Library and the Kennedy Institute of Politics.

In 1968 the state, through legislative act gave the federal government and the Kennedy Corporation the right to buy the MBTA site property.

Robert Burke, engineer for the Kennedy Corporation, said yesterday that Harvard "has an obligation to buy" the corporations acreage. He said the University's "will buy the land under any of cumstances--whether of not the Library is built."

Donald C. Moulton assistant vice president for communist affairs, said yesterday that there is a "good" chance that the University--will acquire the Kennedy Corporation's portion of the site.

But he said that it has not yet been determined whether the University will buy the land.

Griffin said that if the archives are built on the site across the street from Eliot House it would not necessitate a new environmental impact statement.

Restudy the Impact

However, he said certain aspects of the impact statement would have to be restudied and a supplement may need to be added.

He said that if the archives building is found to be "non-controversial" by the GSA then it will not require hearings or stringent review by the community.

Gerald Gillerman 49 lawyer or Neighborhood Ten, said yesterday that there is "on easy definition" of an archive but that it is "probably quite beyond the scope of any issue that is now pending in federal court."

"By rational and calm exchange of ideas and information I know the community is hopeful that a resolution will occur and the library as we understand it, will remain." he said.

Neighborhood Ten is currently suing the GSA for not releasing its entire impact report.

John R. Silber, president of Boston University, Thursday offered Kennedy Corporation president Stephen E. Smith the air rights over the Massachusetts Turnpike or the Commonwealth Armory as possible sites for both the Kennedy museum and library.

Silber offered to sell the air nights and the armory site for $1 each to the corporation.

"In our opinion it would be regretable if the Kennedy museum and library were not located in close proximity to the J.F.K. Kennedy School of Government." Silber said in a telegram to Smith. "Either of the proposed locations would give easy access to cambridge over the Boston University Bridge," he said.

Alan Pierce, a spokesman for the Kennedy Corporation, said yesterday that "there is an inclination to put the archives at least near a college or university." He said he could not comment directly on the B.U. site because he had not seen the written invitation.

Pierce said there are now close to 100 offers, invitations and suggestions" for the location of the complex.