Imprisoned Ukranian Scholar May Come to Harvard in ' 75-6

The University has invited Valentyn Moroz, a Ukranian historian and sociogist imprisoned by the Soviet Union, to join the Harvard Ukranian Research Institute for the 1975-76 academic year.

Omeijan Pritsak, professor of Linguistics and director of the institute, said yesterday Moroz was invited last fall because "we're a new institution, we need good people, and he's a great sholar."

Moroz, arrested in 1970 on charges of antil-soviet propagands and agitation, has been on a hunger strike in Vladmir prison since July 1. He is protesting the charges on which he is imprisoned and inhuman treatment by prison suthorities.

Pritsak said Moroz is in prison because the Soviet authorities "tried to force him to agree to something he thought impossible, and he chose instead to go to prison."

Although Moroz is presently incarcerated, Pritsak said he hopes the scholar will be able to come to Harvard next year.

"The same thing that happened with Soizhenitsyn may happen again--maybe he will be released," pritsak said.

Alexandr I. soizhenitsyn was exiled from the Soviet Union last year after widespread Western protests against restrictions placed on his freedom.

Pritsak said when the University invited Moroz last November, it simultaneously invited six other Soviet Ukranian scholars. He would not disclose the names of these six men.

President Bok said last night he is not aware of any response to the invitations.

Pritsak said sources have informed him that the letter of invitation to Moroz written by Bok, has reached Moroz's wife, to whom it was sent.

Moroz has spent all but nine months of the last nine years in prison, since his first arrest in 1965, also on charges of anti Soviet propagands.

He has stated that he will continue his present hunger strike until he dies or until he is transferred to a labor camp.