Andrews Says Steele's Actions Led to Coop Amendment Vote

William D. Andrews, professor of Law and a director of the Harvard Cooperative Society, said yesterday that proposed amendments to the Coop's election by-laws were prompted by an "unfortunate experience" with a former member of the Coop's board of directors.

Andrews last month denied charges by Donald Steele, the director Andrews complained about, that one of the proposed amendments would make the Coop a "closed club" and was designed to keep members who do not agree with present Coop policies off the board.

22-and-a-Half

Flyers distributed in the Coop's Harvard Square store Saturday said the Coop had already received a 22-and-a-half-per cent return on members ballots on the amendments. The ballots will be counted when returns reach 25 per cent, the amount required for passage of the amendments.

During his tenure as a director last year, Steele was active in making public what he called unethical business practices by the Coop.

"Enough of what Steele had charged and claimed was without foundation," Andrews said. "The Coop lost more in dealing with complaints than it gained in diversity," he added.

Steele was unavailable for comment last night.

Andrews said that the Coop has postponed the nomination of non-student directors pending the outcome of the by-law amendments, because it is "unfair" to conduct the nominations while the amendment process is "up in the air."

The amendment proposes that non-student Coop directors be chosen by the stockholders to become board members automatically, instead of the present system where non-student Coop members can petition for nomination to the board.