Coup Attempt Fails in Portugal; Gomes Vows to Punish Rebels

Two air force training planes bombed and strafed an artillery barracks in Lisbon Portugal, yesterday in an attempted coup against Portugal's left wing military government.

President Francisco da Costa Gomes in a radio-television speech, appealed for calm and said the government was in complete control He blamed the reactionary adventure" squarels in his presidential predecessor and former comrade-in-arms. Gen. Antonio de Spinola.

He said Spionla's name heads the list of 28 officers who are to be "arrested, tried and punished.

Asylum

But Spinola, the conservative general who led the revolt against Portugal's 45 near dictatorship last April, flew to Spain by helicopter for asylum Spanish military sources said he was placed under security at a Spanish air base near the frontier. He was ousted by left-leaning generals in September.

Premier Vasco Goncalves announced after the fighting that the situation was "under the absolute control of the Armed Forces Movement" which runs the country.

Spinola, a conservative, was forced from office on April 25, 1974, by leftist officers. In his last television address as president, Spinola warned that Portugal was sliding into "chaos and anarchy."

Goncalves said in a statement broadcast on national radio that reactionary forces had made "a desperate attempt to stop the revolutionary process started on April 25."

Sources reported that the attackers represent a moderate or conservative element in the Portuguese military, while the artillery regiment which was bombed is "left leaning."

The Portuguese government, which includes civilians from the Socialist. Popular Democratic, and Communist parties, recently announced a plan for state control of large industrial and agricultural concerns.

The plan provides for continued private property and free enterprise, but Marxist military officers have advocated an end to all capitalism in the country.

The government has announced that it will hold a constitutional assembly sometime in the fall.