Radcliffe Blacks Organize New Group

Seek Student-Alumni Voice in University

A group of black Radcliffe students is in the process of forming a new, "politically-oriented" organization, a spokesperson said today.

Avarita L. Hanson '75, one of the group's organizers, said the group--as yet unnamed--will orient itself toward "political action, especially among black alumnae" to increase the number of black women in the Radcliffe administration and on the Faculty.

"If black women felt adequately represented here, we wouldn't need an organization," Hanson said.

She said that the need for a separate black women's organization became apparent earlier this year.

"Last semester, a number of black women said they were paying dues to the Radcliffe Union of Students(RUS) and not getting anything out of it except for an occasional black speaker." Hanson said. "We felt it was time to get ourselves together."

Monica D. McClendon '77, an organizer of the group, said yesterday that the group will work closely with minority women and the Radcliffe administration in order to "meet needs not being met by the University"--both the academic needs of students and the need for greater numbers of black and minority women in the administration and Faculty.

"As a group, black and third world women have been somewhat polarized at Harvard over the last few years, and in bringing about this organization we've been trying to bring them back together." McClendon said.

According to McClendon, the group has met twice and response from black and third world women has been "overwhelming."

At Least One

She said that "over 60 per cent" of the approximately 230 black and third world women undergraduates have attended "at least one" of the meetings.

In forming the organization. McClendon said that the women received the support of both Alberta Arthurs. Radcliffe dean of admissions and financial aid, and Arthurs's assistant, Sylvia Simmons. Neither Arthurs nor Simmons was available for comment yesterday.

McClendon said the group's next step will be to obtain official recognition from the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life. She said the CHUL approval should come "within the next few weeks."

Ties to Afro

Hanson said that the group intends to "remain close" to the Harvard-Radcliffe Association of African and Afro-American Students.

Although the group apparently will be an autonomous one. Hanson said. "We really don't see it necessary to divide ourselves out from the major Afro body."

Shelley H. Anderson '77, another of the group's organizers, said yesterday that she fears possible "damaging effects of early publicity" about the new organization, and declined further comment.