Steiner Sets Rules Against Interfering In Med Area Union

Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel to the University, circulated guidelines this week to prevent unlawful University interference in the Medical Area union organizing effort.

In a letter addressed to Medical Area supervisors, most of whom are professors or administrators. Steiner asked them not to threaten employees or to promise them extra benefits if they either supported or opposed the union.

The letter also cautioned against asking employees questions about the union, and attending or observing union activities.

Steiner called the guidelines "fairly simple rules for the moment," Without the rules "99 per cent of the people wouldn't have any idea of how to conduct themselves," he added.

Steiner said that the guidelines were not motivated by any reports of management conduct that violated the National Labor Relations Act.

Edie Brickman, a member of the Medical Area Organizing Committee, said last night that she did not know of any harassment of Medical Area employees and that she thought the University "would not approve of it" if it occurred.

Brickman said that the committee has set up a "communications system" to alert union attorneys to any possible harassment.

Hearings before the NLRB between Harvard and the District 65 are set for March 17, Until that time. Steiner said yesterday, "nothing official" will happen in the union proceedings. Steiner said he would give a detailed explanation of proper supervisory procedures for a union election.